opening weekend - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default opening weekend

Well, it finally got here, and Murphy is alive and well.
I got my son out for his first hunt on Saturday morning. I let him sleep in a little longer than I would normally because he is also involved in HS football and they played their Homecoming game Friday night and he went out after with a few buddies.

Saturday morning was not the ideal hunting scenario as the wind was swirling and strong. saturday evening he was engaged in the homecoming activities and ended up staying out all night. that kinda put a kabash on Sunday morning hunt. so I hunted Saturday night alone and decided to set up my new blind just to see how it fit. I realize I should have set it up days in advance but I was willing to chance things this early in the season.

Saturday night less than an hour after setting up I had raccoons, squirrels and all types of birds walking all over flying into and brushing up against the blind, just no deer. things changed Sunday. I was in the blind at 6:30am and at 7:30am a doe made her presence. I ranged her at 43 yds and waited for her to angle right to clear the trees and brush that was keeping me from taking the shot. she had seen the blind and was understandably nervous from the time I saw her and she kept the blind in view at all times(you might say she was locked on the blind) but she maintained her approach. as luck, or lack of it would have it, she took a left angle away from me. that angle took her to 3 yds from the tree my son would have been in any other weekend.
3 yds
and he would have had his first deer the first weekend hunting.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 AM
B&C 160 Class

Thats why they call them the elusive whitetail
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Seeing the deer will keep him motivated though. Young folks get discouraged when they go hunt and see nothing at all.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:25 AM
B&C 160 Class

And that's why they call it hunting. Funny thing about the blinds, my wife can sit in one and have deer stick their head in the window when I sit in one they avoid it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
B&C 180 Class

That's about right Buckshot! Funny story-- One of my buddies was begging his wife to take up deer hunting and finally one year she gave in and went on a hunt. They settled into their blind, (it was firearms season) and 5 min after sun up she killed a 10pt that my buddy had been seeing all fall but could never get a shot! She turned looked at him and said "can we go home now?" hahahaha PRICELESS!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 AM
B&C 160 Class

funny how hunting goes sometimes.uncles friend tony never was able to shoot a buck in his lifetime numerous does but never a buck.he was the best turkey hunter i knew but never shot even a spike.hunting gods r funny.