2 albino bucks within 1/2 mile of each other - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default 2 albino bucks within 1/2 mile of each other

Some of you may have seen the video I posted back in July of the albino I got on film. This morning driving to college I saw another white buck in someone's yard with a bunch of other deer. It was about 1/2 mile from where the first albino lives (and I've seen the first one many times in the same place). This 2nd deer was different...antlers a little smaller but not bad rack either. And it appeared that he had shed his velvet too (is mid-september normal time for that?) When I first saw it for a second I thought it was a huge dog...lol

Well anyway, I think the albino gene pool is growing in our area and biologically it's a weakness but those stuck up law makers have the deer protected here in TN as in many other states. Maybe someday, someone with sense will legalize it, I know I'd love to shoot an albino buck, especially one with a trophy rack like I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
B&C 180 Class

catman- what do you mean there's a weakness in the albino deer? I never heard that? (not trying to start anything.... just curious).
In MO, the albino and pibald deer (these look like white and brown cows), are not protected and can be harvested. Personally i've never seen one before in person, but that would be awesome to harvest a doe or buck that is albino.
Wonder if they glow at night? haha
Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

They are a weakness in the herd because a white deer is much, much easier to spot (as I have experienced in person) so they are at least twice as likely to be taken by predators like coyotes. And since they breed their albino gene into the herd, it gradually increases the number of albinos that appear in a herd and that just increases their weakness.

As for the protection, they are protected by law in many states. There are no good reasons I can think of for these laws, which is why I disagree with them and hope that sometime Tennessee repeals it so I might get a chance to shoot one of the white deer. Would make a really cool wall mount.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM

The albino gene is a genetic default of nature. Why some states protect them is probably a goodwill gesture for public approval. In all reality they should be harvested to supress the bad gene.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM
B&C 180 Class

catman- ok, i thought you meant something else by "weakness". I agree with you and it makes sense. kinda like going hunting w/your buddies and one of them hasn't showered in a week! he's the weakness of the group- and probably weak in the head! haha