Neighbor shooting into my land - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Neighbor shooting into my land

My neighbor has just set up a box blind that is less than 50 yds from my property line and he is looking and shooting into my land and another neighbors who has not given him permission. Is there any laws against this and does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 05:27 PM

If you're not feeling safe with the situation OR if it puts you or other neighbors in harms way, you may want to give a Fish/Game officer a call and ask them if they could talk with this neighbor on your behalf.
Good Luck

Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 PM
B&C 120 Class

im with bruce but if im not mistaken most states say that if your hunting private and the deer is not on the land that you are authorized to hunt then your not supposed to shoot it so i would personally have a game warden look at the set up that he has and then have him talk with the guy so the officer knows what the set up looks like with no arguement between you and your neighbor as to how its set up.
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

Unless you make your intention to him or if you post it he can do it. At least thats the way it is in NH. Bruce is right , ask the assistance of the fish and game dept. to document it if nothing else.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

Here you must be 300 yards from an occupied building unless you have the owners permission.Other than that there are no laws as to how close you can be to someone elses property or if your bullets or pellets (from a shotgun) travel onto thier land.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
B&C 180 Class

Here in Missouri, we paint our fence posts PURPLE, or at least the tops of them. If I were you I'd paint them purple where this guy is looking onto your land. PURPLE paint means NO HUNTING/NO TREASPASSING. Also, is he bow hunting or gun? If it's bow, he might be waiting for deer to come on his place, but if you know it's gun, I would definately try to talk to the guy and/or talk to the game warden if he is non-compliant. I would also invest in some "no hunting" signs, that way if this guy does "hunt your property", he'll be in more serious trouble.
Don't know about everyone else, but I can't stand people who don't respect others' land. Some people think they can hunt anywhere and that fences don't matter. This is how people end up hurt, or dead on hunting trips.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM

I agree tator In New Hampshire though fences don't mean anything If it ain't posted it is legal unless the owner of the property has told you he does not want you there so I agree I would post it
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM
B&C 160 Class

50 yards is better than1 yard off the line
Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
B&C 160 Class

Check you state laws or ask the wildlife man in your area. In Tennessee you are required to have the landowners permision to hunt posted or not. Here he can put a stand on the the line but not shoot or retreive deer across the line without permision. If the land in TN is posted correctly you don't even have to prossicute or show up in court the state will charge the trespasser without you if they don't have the required written permision.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

Either way if he shoots something and it runs to your land he will be trespassing to come get it, if he shoots something on your land and has to come get it he is trespassing, in Mississippi land doesn't have to be posted for you to be trespassing dont know where you are. My neighbor did the same thing so I just put a stand on my property next to the fence right in front of his, never hunted it but figured it might keep him from shooting om my place.