Blue tougue disease - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Blue tougue disease

yall ever seen this before. i got a farmer friend of mine that had 2 deer go to his pond and just hang out in it for a day. they were not scared of humans and let us take pictures of them and get relatively close. the next day they were dead. i am writing an article on this and ive got the photos of the deer so in the next week or so ill try to have it up. most of the time with this virus the deer travel to water, lose their fear of what their normally wary of, and have a chance of dying. odd indeed. it is more common down south though so yall northerners should not see it much. they get it from flies and gnats and bugs like that, that bite them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

you have blue tounge, and we got CWD up in the north and west
Old 08-31-2007, 12:07 AM
B&C 180 Class

saw a show bout it 5-3yrs ago .totally different from CWD.This is why they want to stop baiting.makes sense,you got a sick dog you let the other dogs drink from the same bowl
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-09-2007, 10:25 PM

22 pointer found in a dudes barn a county over from mine. im trying to get a photo of his rack from a guy at work. blue tounge at it again. sad
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Natural Disease

The Blue Tongue Disease (EHD) is a naturally occuring disease in nature. I live in TN and we have had bad problems with it this year. TWRA is claiming that we have had a loss of 20-45% in some counties. The main problem with it this year is that there has been hardly any rain ( at least in the South).

The disease normall kills a few deer each year in the months of July and August. Being that it's the hottest time of the year and normally rainfall is a little lacking in most areas.However, with the absence of almost any rainfall this year, many herds of deer have been grouped around the small ( often stagnant) water sources that they can find. The disease comes from no-see-ems and sometimes from drinking water. With several deer collecting in one area the the insects will do the same. This means more bites (more of the disease keeps being injected in the animal) and also, since the water is being shared and is just setting, it too can transmit the disease.

TWRA said that the deer are safe to eat but as my dad said ( he works for a division of TWRA) would you eat a disease cow?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Scrub Buck

Pike co ILL was hit this year. I was there early NOV. Found 12 deer dead.Farmer found 40 this summer.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytalker View Post
Pike co ILL was hit this year. I was there early NOV. Found 12 deer dead.Farmer found 40 this summer.
WOW!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Yep, I was bowhunting in Illinois week of 11-6-07 and walked up on a spike buck that was on his death bed and indeed was dead the next day. Illinois DNR has found approx. 200 dead deer this year from "Blue Tongue"
May be worse this year because of drought ??