New to Hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Scrub Buck

Default New to Hunting

Well, I've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life, and have just recently gotten the itch to try hunting. I'm currently living in Utah Valley, and it would be nice if any experienced hunters could share some tips on how to get started. I've already got plenty of gear from my backpacking days, and a decent, if short range rifle(accurate out to 300m with iron sights).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit86 View Post
Well, I've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life, and have just recently gotten the itch to try hunting. I'm currently living in Utah Valley, and it would be nice if any experienced hunters could share some tips on how to get started. I've already got plenty of gear from my backpacking days, and a decent, if short range rifle(accurate out to 300m with iron sights).
let me guess a 223? some type of black gun?

first you need a hunters safety class. the info there is a start. you need to know what you want to hunt. then check out hunt clubs to see if there is any one that can mentor you. read all you can, get out there and observe the critters you want to hunt. pose questions here the more specific the better the answers.

welcome to the club
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
So you've got the itch to "TRY" hunting, If this is just an attempt to see what it's like, all you have to do to give it a "try" is go into the woods without a weapon,
look for some signs that deer are in the area (tracks, droppings, known inhabitated area,,,)
spend a few days learning the area looking for things deer might eat like nuts, berries, apples just basically put yourself into position like any hunter would and then decide if you want to take your Local Hunters Safety Course to begin the world of hunting....
Good Luck and keep us posted

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Welcome to the site. I second what was stated above.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
So you've got the itch to "TRY" hunting, If this is just an attempt to see what it's like, all you have to do to give it a "try" is go into the woods without a weapon,
look for some signs that deer are in the area (tracks, droppings, known inhabitated area,,,)
spend a few days learning the area looking for things deer might eat like nuts, berries, apples just basically put yourself into position like any hunter would and then decide if you want to take your Local Hunters Safety Course to begin the world of hunting....
Good Luck and keep us posted
Actually, I've already got this part covered, I've been hiking in the mountains in this area for years, and I know where to go within 50 miles of where I'm typing this to routinely find deer, elk, moose, bear and mountain goat.
I probably should have been more specific with my question, what I really need help with is some of the detail type stuff,buying the right tag, proper shot placement, what needs to be done after I bring one down, all that fun stuff.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
ronn

Quote:
Actually, I've already got this part covered, I've been hiking in the mountains in this area for years, and I know where to go within 50 miles of where I'm typing this to routinely find deer, elk, moose, bear and mountain goat.
I probably should have been more specific with my question, what I really need help with is some of the detail type stuff,buying the right tag, proper shot placement, what needs to be done after I bring one down, all that fun stuff.
this is taught/touched on in hunters safety which is required in all 50 states. what tags and the like is in your states rules which you need to know. most states have web sites to get you the info you need although being the gov they can sometimes be hard to understand.

there is another guy from utah here on the site. he posts a bit. if you can find him by the location in the upper right of his posts you could send him a private message. slick 07 something maybe? i'll see if i can find him and i'll send you a pm with the name.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Hunting & fishing are usually mentored activities and therefore are very difficult to simply teach over the internet. There is a load of book info for the avid reader to consume. Here like others have stated, we can help on some specific detailed questions. What is the rifle you be using, just curious? Finding an experienced partner is probably the best help I can give along with the rest of the above posts.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

this is going to sound funny, but even though i have been hunting since i was about 6, last year i went to the local book store and picked up Hunting for dummy's. I try to learn as much as i can. thus i love this website so much. not only is it packed with really cool people, but Knowledgeable people. i would agree with the above though. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.......i took my hunters safety course when i was 13 (as required by MD law). but here are a few things to remember:

- do i have enough clothing in case it gets a little nippy? (you can always shed clothing if it gets warm!)
-Am i going to hunt from a blind? tree stand? (did i bring my safety harness?) or Spot and Stalk?(i would recommend waiting for that one)
Do i have a back-up firearm if i run into a bear/mountain cat, etc?
-What firearm/Ammunition combo works best for my type of hunting?
-If i were to get lost, would i be able to survive for atleast 3 days.(depending on terrain,altitude,weather, etc.)
- do i have my hunting Lic. with me?
- does somebody know where i will be in case something happens?
* i usually tell a loved one, etc. that i will be home by a certain time, or will call them from my cell/house phone when i get home or get a tag.

These are just a few things you have to think about. im sure we could list stuff ALL day long, but just remember. Hunting alone isnt really a smart thing to do if you are going out for your first time. ALWAYS hunt with a buddy. you wont be sorry. good luck. and what are you shooting? i hope not a .223 for elk....thats just gonna piss him off...hahaha
CVA optima Mag .50 cal. Muzzleloader
1968 Browning recurve
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
What is the rifle you be using, just curious?
Now, I know that some may think that this is a poor choice for a hunting weapon, but the way I see it, any rifle that can trow a 180gr bullet at 2460 ft/lbs should be more than enough to take out any deer I may run into in utah.
The rifle in question is a Santa-Fe Jungle Carbine chambered in .303 british. Not much good beyond about 300m thanks to that 20'' barrel, but since I don't have a scope on it, I don't think I'll be taking any shots past 100m anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 AM
B&C 160 Class

welcome jo. can tell from your first post in this topic your a jo. and more than likely you were/are an army grunt. if m right you are usedto shooting the .223/5.56mm. you will want a round that will have similer to that with the power to knock down your game. i reqomend the .270. as for the actuall hunt. take all the info you have learned about cammo, and avoiding being seen and shift it to avoid being smelled. as far as shot placement you need to change it from center mass to just behind the front sholder. pluss you will want a scope/ the "kill zone" is much smaller than an E type siluett, so if you want to taked down the game in a humaine why get the scope. take your hunter safty corce, event thought 90% of it is servival training wich is a waist for an amy vet. pluss ask all the qusetions you want hear. lots of guys hear know what they are talking about.