EPA considering banning lead Ammunition - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default EPA considering banning lead Ammunition

I came across this this morning. The EPA has presented a Law that would ban the use of Lead in ammunition. This is another "shot" the current administration is taking at our freedoms. I hope that we can all stand united on this issue and do our part to make our voices heard against it. I pasted in a clip below which gives a brief description)

"NSSF is springing into action, as the public comment period opens on EPA considering a regulation that will ban all traditional lead ammunition. This would basically end the shooting sports as we know it. Remember this is a no-win situation for us, because bullets made of materials other than lead are often considered armor piercing by law. Copper is your basic material, and copper is expensive, and has much poorer performance properties than lead.
As NSSF has pointed out, there’s no real scientific basis for restricting lead ammunition. Just about all shooting ranges at this point are recycling their lead (it’s too valuable to just leave in the ground). California’s ban has not been shown to reduce lead levels in Condors, and has driven more people away from hunting. Additionally, it’s interfered with lawful self-protection in parts of California that are considered condor habitat.
Are the gloves coming off? The Obama Administration has, until now, been reluctant to antagonize gun owners. Perhaps now that his popularity is reaching new lows, he’s looking to appeal to an important part of his green base by beating up on gun owners and shooters. Having utterly failed to eliminate the Second Amendment by hook, now it would seem he’s proceeding to do it by crook; by demonizing gun owners and the shooting sports as environmental devils. Let’s hope this is about as successful as the President’s other endeavors.
UPDATE: Black Bear Blog thinks this is beyond EPA’s mandate under the TSCA. His argument looks compelling."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Denied, not their athority.....

FOXNews.com - EPA Rejects Calls to Ban Lead in Ammo, Fishing Tackle
Old 08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
B&C 100 Class

A whole lotta words come to mind when I read this. And let me tell you... not one of them was friendly. It does suck that the animals are suffering. But I'm sure its not near as bad as they make it out to be. Most hunting rounds are designed to stay in the animal. This is just like the thing that assult rifles are causing crime. And ak47's are the weapon if terrorists. I'm sure they think the same about m series weapons in iraq. We come over there and killed everything. But I have both and I'm not a bad guy. I pay taxes. And take care of my family. I go to church. And the same with pistols. They cause violence. What the beep beep is that crap! That's a whole lot of bs. Why would they cause violence? Because people can conseal them? I call it pertection. Most people would agree. Ad rather use a shotgun for pertection. That's what sits by the bed. Makes me sleep nice and tosty. Screw the pistol or asult rifels in the safe. I like the spread. And. Not going threw walls. Sorry guys I just needed to vent. Just my .10
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 AM
B&C 160 Class

If this recomendation moves forward I will be real suprised.
Democrats haven't forgot what happened in 94 because of gun control, but we will see.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
B&C 120 Class

The EPA tossed this out. Below is an article that states their reasons why. Don't sleep on this issue, their intentions have been made clear.

Here is what the EPA just sent Washington Whispers:
EPA Denies Petition Calling for Lead Ammunition Ban
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency today denied a petition calling for a ban on the production and distribution of lead hunting ammunition. EPA sent a letter to the petitioners explaining the rejection – that letter can be found here: TSCA Section 21 | Chemical Information Collection and Data Development (Testing) | USEPA
Steve Owens, EPA assistant administrator for the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, issued the following statement on the agency's decision:
"EPA today denied a petition submitted by several outside groups for the agency to implement a ban on the production and distribution of lead hunting ammunition. EPA reached this decision because the agency does not have the legal authority to regulate this type of product under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) – nor is the agency seeking such authority.
"This petition, which was submitted to EPA at the beginning of this month, is one of hundreds of petitions submitted to EPA by outside groups each year. This petition was filed under TSCA, which requires the agency to review and respond within 90 days.
"EPA is taking action on many fronts to address major sources of lead in our society, such as eliminating childhood exposures to lead; however, EPA was not and is not considering taking action on whether the lead content in hunting ammunition poses an undue threat to wildlife.
"As there are no similar jurisdictional issues relating to the agency's authority over fishing sinkers, EPA – as required by law – will continue formally reviewing a second part the petition related to lead fishing sinkers.
"Those wishing to comment specifically on the fishing tackle issue can do so by visiting Regulations.gov. EPA will consider comments that are submitted by September 15."
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

It would not suprise me any if they did. It will eventually happen.