Hunt for the deer, not the score - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM

Default Hunt for the deer, not the score

I found a great story by Mike Leggett titled, "Hunt for the deer, not the score"Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did..

the following clip from the article is Exactly what I've been trying to say for several years now.

"Somewhere along the way some of us have lost sight of what deer hunting is supposed to be fun and relaxing,
a way to teach our kids about life, time spent outdoors with friends and chicken-fried backstrap.
Somewhere along the way, it's morphed into an obsession with scoring big deer. Trophy deer.
Somewhere along the way, the hunt has gotten lost
"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

when i was younger, if i didnt tag a deer or catch a fish, i would be pretty upset. Now that i have gotten older, i realize alot more things. its amazing just to get out in the woods, out on the water, or just relax at the range for a few hours. Im not out there trying to kill a trophy. or the biggest deer in the world. I am enjoying a sport that has been around since the beginning of time. i love my sport. and when i see people on TV, etc. getting these monster bucks, its not real hunting. its a guy with a camera killing a HUGE animal, just for the glory. I do it to put food on the table. and to carry on a family tradition, and teach the next generation about a sport that can not be replaced.

-Brandon
CVA optima Mag .50 cal. Muzzleloader
1968 Browning recurve
Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 PM
B&C 160 Class

i hunt for the backstraps
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

I read the article also and I'm 100 % in agreement, but this is only my outlook. I hunt for the adventure and camaraderie of hunting with my relatives . I do enjoy a great buck but in my neck of the woods a trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. Don't get me wrong as I do have some limits like nothing under 120 lbs dressed . Some hunters choose to hunt only big adult deer that are at least 4- 5 years old but I think I eat more and more often than they do. To each his own , but don't try to impose your beliefs on me and I'll do the same in return.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 PM
ronn

total bs and one mans opinion! you want a hunt? hunt for a 5.5 year old buck and while your at it make sure its a booner. that will test your skills as a hunter a lot more than whacking that 1.5 fork horn. every time no ands, ifs, or buts. just from the little bit you posted i have no desire to read any farther. pot stirrer lol you knew that i wasn't going to let that slide didn't you

Last edited by ronn; 08-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
total bs and one mans opinion! you want a hunt? hunt for a 5.5 year old buck and while your at it make sure its a booner. that will test your skills as a hunter a lot more than whacking that 1.5 fork horn. every time no ands, ifs, or buts. just from the little bit you posted i have no desire to read any farther. pot stirrer
Pot Stirrer? LOL If that was directed at me I gotta tell ya ronn you missed the whole point of why I posted the article but I'm not surprised at this sort of a response from you.
You have a real problem accepting the fact that a lot of hunters still hunt for table fare and not just antlers.
The article upsets you because you know how much truth there is in it, you refer to it as one mans opinion, NEWSFLASH,
I personally know a lot of other hunters that feel the same way about "hunting for a deer not a score".
Yeah I like harvesting nice big racked bucks like every other hunter but it isnt my GOAL, my Goal is to harvest a legal buck if it happens to have a nice rack, YAY!
So now you can calm down because I'm not about to go back and forth with you on this one. Have a good evening.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:08 PM

I really didn't find a whole lot in that article either. Why do I hunt? That's who/what I am. I hunt for me and if that includes friends, family, kids all the better but in the end it's what I want to do and for the reasons that are all mine!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
ronn

its was the last line of the quote that rubbed me the wrong way. its saying if you hunt for a trophy it ain't hunting.

and now you're putting words in my mouth i never dissed any meat hunter. if thats what a hunter wants good for them, heck i am one, but that doesn't mean the guy that chases the toughest of whitetails, that 5.5 year old booner, is less of a hunter. and thats was all that quote you posted was a about, and its bull.

had to go, so i'll finish my thought now. the posted quote is propaganda supporting YOUR idea of what deer hunting is or should be all about. there was no way i was going to let it slide without a rebuttal. just as i would have done if you posted something saying a hunter that shoots a 1.5 old buck for the freezer is no real hunter because he shoots the easy ones. that too would have met with a rebuttal.

Last edited by ronn; 08-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
B&C 160 Class

Im guilty.. i like big bucks with big horns
But i still get a lot of enjoyment sitting on the stand .
Seeing deer , letting small and not bad bucks walk by
I dont care if i dont kill a deer every year
I can wait for the thumper
My wife goes to the store all the time so i dont go hungry
Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
ronn

exactly. i believe ive written quite a bit about just what you said, hm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I really didn't find a whole lot in that article either. Why do I hunt? That's who/what I am. I hunt for me and if that includes friends, family, kids all the better but in the end it's what I want to do and for the reasons that are all mine!
Closed Thread