Deer Hunting Forums banner

What is your look on female hunters?

14K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm Rachel. I have never hunted before so this is my year. But I have a question.. Can guys hunt with girls or does their egos get in the way?

The reason I ask is I am pretty upset tonight over what my boyfriend told me. I have been trying to help him with his food plot... well when he was leaving he saw 3 nice bucks in the field across from the property he hunts.. and he said that was a sign to him that he is going to get them. Maybe I just took it wrong but what the heck! I might be new to hunting but I think I can do just as much as a guy.

#5 ·
Maybe he meant that chances of shooting one were good because he saw the deer, not that he was going to shoot one and you weren't. I'd take a girl hunting too, but I first need to go deer hunting myself, haven't been yet either....went turkey hunting once and I've done a lot of shed hunting...hope I can go this fall but might not be able to.

G
#6 ·
thats a very interesting question. I think what catman said is most likely the case.

hunting is for the most part an individual pursuit. being such and humans being well human, competition naturally comes into play. in some folks its very huge in others its barely noticeable. i believe some guys have some sort of issue with females hunting but i think its genetic or its in-coded in us over our history on earth. its a male thing to be the provider and some guys can't handle it when a female does the providing. that said the way i see it that makes it his problem and not yours.

i do believe the ego comes into hunting. every successful hunter feels that boost, that sense of accomplishment, yes that little boost to their ego.

like i said at first i think he may have been talking in more of a general terms about seeing the deer is a good sign and i think that he'll be super proud of you and for you if/when you do get that deer. most people that care about us would.

welcome to the club

#7 ·
Hi Rachel, Greetings from Vermont & welcome to the club.

I hope it's just a misunderstanding on your part and your boyfriend is really supporting you as a hunter.

Females can hunt just as well if not better than some males.
If anyone thinks differently they should learn more about the Deer Hunters Club youth forum moderator and Team DHC member "East Texas Droptine" (Karina)
that young lady not only sets great example as a youth hunter but as a female hunter as well. :thumbup: and she's just one example.

I would hunt with any female hunter as long as she is a safe shooter and disciplined hunter
and by disciplined hunter I mean she has to be serious about hunting

(shooting often to gain accuracy and confidence with her weapon, scouting to learn more about the wild game animals she is hunting,
develop ethical hunting habits and maintain a real sports-womanlike manner so it's clear she's not just wanting to hang out with the men.)

Good Luck & Happy Safe Hunting Always!!!

#8 ·
I have been hunting most of my life with great friends/deer camps. Egos are the first thing that will ruin a deer camp and ruin any relationship. With that said, healthy competition will fuel a hunting camp and make better hunters all around regardless of sex. Anytime you can share a great adventure then don't pass on it as time will pass you by. Everyone must make up their own decision regarding hunting and the killing of game. Sharing life that's whats important and if it's hunting and fishing all the better. Just remember the saying "you can do it".

#10 ·
Well last year was the first year me and my fieonce went hunting together. And she did awesome. I knew she would. I would like to consider my self a good shooter. I shoot a lot of competition. 3 gun. long range and pistol comp. But she out shoots me on the regular. She takes more time on her shots. Its proven women have a lot more patiance. So go out and get the bisgest buck you can. And tell him nana nana boo boo. Ha ha but more important have fun and be safe.

#11 ·
I've tried for 19 years to get my wife to go hunting. Got her into a buddy stand last year but only as a spectator(she didn't want to hunt). If she ever decided to actually hunt, i would give her the first shot. The hunting tradition is dying out and if first time hunters are successful they are a lot more likely to stick with it. When my boys started hunting it was more exciting for me to watch them. I took pride in their success and any man worth a darn should feel the same way if he takes the woman he loves hunting.

#12 ·
About have my youngest daughter convinced to study/take the TX Hunter Safety class so she can go hunting this fall. She's pretty good at those shoot-em up video games and that's 'normally' a good indication of how she'll do with the real thing, but I'm not going to take that one to the bank just yet. This is about the time I wish I had a good .22 to see how she does with a rifle. It's a lot cheaper to shoot than the .243 or .244 that I have in the safe. (Both of them run $17 to $30 for a box of 20 rds) I will just wait and see how things go as the season approaches and if she's willing to crawl out of bed at oh-dark-thirty to go hunting with me.

#13 ·
if she's willing to crawl out of bed at oh-dark-thirty to go hunting with me.
SHHHHHHHhhhh don't even mention 0 dark 30 yet...:ranting:

She may be ready for hunting but nobody gets excited about 0dark30! :lol: :lol:

#16 ·
not for me

sorry boys ill be the bad guy here.i dont wanna have to watch my manners,language,babysit,get nagged,in camp.there are no wives or girlfriends during hunting season.they all come up in the summer and we have a good time.hunting season is my time.i dont go to bingo and i wouldnt want that in my camp.guess were cavemen but if we wanted women around all the time i would have bought a condo in florida not land in the sticks.

#17 ·
sorry boys ill be the bad guy here.i dont wanna have to watch my manners,language,babysit,get nagged,in camp.there are no wives or girlfriends during hunting season.they all come up in the summer and we have a good time.hunting season is my time.i dont go to bingo and i wouldnt want that in my camp.guess were cavemen but if we wanted women around all the time i would have bought a condo in florida not land in the sticks.
Hunting camps is a tad different in my book. All guys, usually all serious hunters. The female would have to be up to par hunting wise and camping out in the woods to be included on that. So I will agree with you on that scenerio. My wife would stay at the house.

#21 ·
My dad taught me to hunt when was 3 years old but all I was allowed to hunt was rabbits and squirrels. "Females" were not allowed in the woods during deer season. 6 years ago my boyfriend & I move to South Dakota and he got me started deer hunting. The first year we didn't even see any deer until 1/2 hour before sunset on the last day of hunting. I had been worried about having "buck fever" but when I saw 3 does coming up, I waited for them to get closer. He spooked them when he came to get me and get out of the woods. The next year, I got my 1st deer ever-a nice mule deer doe and 1 week later got a nice whitetail doe. My boyfriend tells everyone that I'm a great hunting partner and that we have the same hunting style and outlook. Since then, I've hunted turkeys and pronghorn and started muzzloading. I got my 1st pronghorn last year and my 1st buck. The rancher who lets us hunt pronghorns on his land has said that I'm "more man" than most of the hunters out there. And that's a compliment. I am an ethical hunter and a safe one. Two years ago there was a grandfather, father and 3 teenagers(all boys) hunting for pronghorns and when they saw the herd, the teenagers started shooting before they got close enough and there were actually other hunters in the line of fire. I had a shot last year but saw there were other hunters beyond the pronghorn I was looking at so I didn't shoot. Safety First and know what's behind what you are shooting at. Those teenagers were not taught right and I would never hunt with anyone who wasn't an ethical and safe hunter. And yes some women are better shots and hunters than most men.

#26 ·
most men speak before they think so dont worry about him. I like it when a woman is interested in hunting they are simaler to kids in that they are willing to learn, and most men just think they know what they are doing. NOW DONT ANY OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS it is just from my experence.

#29 ·
I still end up deer hunting with my wife at least once a year
She can walk out to a deer stand any time she wants by her self and have fun
Now if were duck hunting or dove hunting she is always welcome to come and have all the fun she wants
Her only rule then is not to shoot me :w00t:

#30 ·
1st off welcome
from my experience women generally are equal or better hunter's
woman have better Patience, (usually from dealing with us men)
pay more attention to details & are steadier shooters.
my youngest daughter 12 started hunting last year well no luck but truly amazed me on how fast she picked up the sport & did everything I tough her to do. If my wife would hunt I would take her no problem. More Meat in the freezer thats the way I look at it Plus I enjoy going on hunts w/ people I never hunted with or taking someone WHO has never hunted themselves. No mater what gender race color age or whatever it is all about going out there & enjoying what god gave us & forgetting about the everyday garbage we all have to deal with. That all is forgotten when the camo's go on
So again welcome to the site & the sport go out & hunt with or without your boyfriend & Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.