Deer Hunting Forums banner

What is your look on female hunters?

14K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm Rachel. I have never hunted before so this is my year. But I have a question.. Can guys hunt with girls or does their egos get in the way?

The reason I ask is I am pretty upset tonight over what my boyfriend told me. I have been trying to help him with his food plot... well when he was leaving he saw 3 nice bucks in the field across from the property he hunts.. and he said that was a sign to him that he is going to get them. Maybe I just took it wrong but what the heck! I might be new to hunting but I think I can do just as much as a guy.

G
#31 ·
more women need to start hunting and should be encouraged by their partners.

the statistics are showing if mom hunts, the kids are more likely to hunt thus growing the numbers of hunters instead of the numbers shrinking as they have been in the past years.

G
#33 ·
I am also a female hunter. I have been hunting for 4 years. I have got 4 deer so far. I have been looking for a forum for women hunters only but I can't find one. I was curious as to how many ladies there are on this forum alone? Anyway I am new here just joined in and hope to learn more.
welcome to the forum. i'm guessing there are about a half dozen females that post off and on.

#36 ·
Greetings from Vermont Foreststalker,:bye: welcome to the club. Very glad to have you with us...
I'm not sure why more women don't visit the hunting forums Especially ours, we do our best to maintain a family environment here at the DHC where men, women & youths can participate in a safe, friendly environment... You won't be exposed to foul language or photos at the Deer Hunters club, spammers try to sneak stuff in but we do our best to clear it as quickly as possible..

My best guess is women probably dont feel welcomed or comfortable hanging out with us guys and probably because hunting hasn't been the most popular activity among women but I really hope that changes and I hope you stick around with us to help draw more women into our hunting chats...

Best wishes and Happy Safe Hunting Always, I'll see you in the chats! :w00t:

#37 ·
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome. I'll hang around a while and check out the forums. I will be hunting with a muzzleloader for the first time this year. I absolutely can't wait. I have a CVA Hunterbolt but I think I am wanting something more up to date with the QR breech plug and one that is easier to clean and load. Thanks again.

G
#38 ·
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome. I'll hang around a while and check out the forums. I will be hunting with a muzzleloader for the first time this year. I absolutely can't wait. I have a CVA Hunterbolt but I think I am wanting something more up to date with the QR breech plug and one that is easier to clean and load. Thanks again.
oh you need to follow the thread in muzzle loading titled ronn's hunter bolt. pretty need stuff.

#43 ·
I think it's a perfect choice for the smaller framed person. It's an ultralight design (only 6.25 lbs) which means you'll be carrying less weight around reducing hunter fatigue.
The accelerator breech plug combined with the drop out trigger assembly pretty much says how easy this muzzleloader is going to be to clean and maintain.

as far as kick the Vortek should prove to be much better when you compare it to the kick from a cva hunterbolt.

As for the price you have to keep in mind that the Vortek is the most feature packed muzzleloader on the market today.

Here's a link to the Cabela's Entry Level Vortek offered at just 399.99
be sure to read the product description.
Personally I would wait and try to save up for the UltraLight version. the entry level Vortek weighs 7 1/2 lbs the ultra light weighs just 6 1/14 lbs. It may not sound like much of a difference but the difference is paramount.

#42 ·
Better yet, look at TC ML rifles when purchasing your new rifle. TC products have served me well for 30 years. I always consider resale value when buying and if you look at used ML guns TC products will hold their value better than CVA, Traditions, ect. Just another thing to think about. Here at DHC, we all have opinions some are just better than others!:nerd: TC TC TC

#44 ·
she's already concerned with price, why would you want to offer a tc muzzleloader that even Bill Gates can't afford! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#45 ·
You can also look at online auctions for purchasing ML rifles as most states allow direct shipment to your home without a FFL dealer involvement. Just check your state's laws. Look at Auction Arms and Gun Broker.com and look in the black powder listing. Many times you can find real deals. My last 2 Ml purchases were for 1/2 of what they sold new and the guns were in ex condition. I paid around $280 for a TC Triumph in the box shot 4 times and a Knight disk Extreme w/scope for around $230. Deals are out there to be found. Tradition rifles have come a long way from their humble beginnings however, I still consider Thompson Center products at the top of the food chain for standard production rifles. Breeze through our muzzleloading forum to see some tainted opinions with regard to certain rifle makes.:thumbup::thumbdown:

#46 · (Edited)
That old saying: sometimes, no most times in life you get what you pay for. With a little bit more savings she could be hunting with a smile on her face knowing she purchased the best product out there. now if I can steer her to the flintlock section and get her hooked on flash, woosh...bang! Now that's ml hunting at its best. Pride, integrity, accomplishment and quality that's TC all the way everyday!:thumbup:

#47 ·
That old saying: sometimes, no most times in life you get what you pay for. With a little bit more savings she could be hunting with a smile on her face knowing she purchased the best product out there. now if I can steer her to the flintlock section and get her hooked on flash, woosh...bang! Now that's ml hunting at its best. Pride, integrity, accomplishment and quality that's TC all they way everyday!:thumbup:
Foreststalker, Please excuse huntingman and myself, As you can probably tell,
we have a lot of fun between us on the subject of Thompson Center muzzleloaders versus the much better, not overpriced, Traditions "PERFORMANCE" Firearms. :w00t:

#49 ·
I wish I was on Traditions pro staff, then maybe I'd have the new Vortek for my own hunting!
I'm still using my Traditions Pursuit LT for hunting. But the more I think about the Vortek the more I think "Credit Card has room" :wink:

#51 ·
I do too HM, and to be honest with you, before I ever let a muzzleloader Brand fracture a friendship (whether it's Traditons or TC)
I'll melt my traditons in a campfire first.
I love my Traditions Pursuit but my friends are way more important to me. :thumbup:

#60 ·
I am a girl myself and I hunt with a big group of guys, including my husband. I think that if you are a disciplined hunter and have been taught the right hunting ethics then you should be fine. However...NO ONE likes to hunt with a girl that's worried about her hair or nails or just being "too girlie" when they hunt, so just keep that in mind and you should be fine.

G
#61 ·
here's a thought and its something of a political football as well as an issue i have. why is it the term is "female hunter"? why is it not just a hunter? why is it an "African American" and not just an American? or "Hispanic American" or Native American, which by the way there is no such thing because everyone came from somewhere else. i really believe that these terms/labels further divide us and add to the differences that translate to racism, or sexism or whatever. ya know what i mean? its like because someone is hyphenated something they are entitled to special consideration. if we are all equal why is special consideration even a factor? just a question that a acceptable answer still eludes me. sorry if thats changing the subject but i don't think it is. i think its more of cutting to the core of the issue.

#62 ·
I agree ronn, here at the DHC, I refer to female hunters as female hunters because Some I know don't want to be called Hunters, one I met politely corrected me and said "I'm a Huntress not a hunter" BUT I totally agree with you about multi-titles like African-Americans, Mexican-Americans etc etc etc
I've been saying it for a long time now Ronn, DROP the multi references and just call yourselves American and to those that don't agree I say "Just email me and I'll send you Directions to one of America's quickest Exits BACK to your Other country". :w00t:

G
#63 ·
hahahahaha. thats just it, bb. huntress, hunter, terminology is creating a division. it seems to help create an us and them mentality instead of a we mentality. don't get me wrong i love the differences but it just seems to propagate racism, sexism, and all the other isms.

#67 ·
Daughter on the Range

Took my 16 yr old daughter out to the range over this past weekend. Got her set up with a Savage Model 11 in .243. The only other rifle's that she's handled in the past were some .22's at church camp. (Hey, this IS Texas after all!)

Anyway, she did pretty good at the zero range, taking only a few rounds to get zeroed. When moving to the 100 yard range, she put 7 out of 8 rounds in a 2 inch circle, pulling only one round (which went into the target's head).

Can't wait for deer season to open in a couple more months to see the look on her face when she get's her first buck or doe!

Hey Buckfever -- this is the same rifle I've talked to you about in the past. You just have to come get it for a certain young lady in your household! (But now you have to wait at least until this season is over - or she get's her tag filled!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.