Vanilla? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Vanilla?

I have heard it works as a curiosity scent. anyone ever try it and how did it work. what else have you used successfully to draw deer in, besides the attractants sold in the strores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

out of the ordinary seems to be my forte. lol. have used vanilla extract. forget the brand right now. works real good. some extract mixed into a gallon of demineralized water and put into a weed sprayer. good stuff. have good luck in Georgia with peanut butter. rubber gloves and spread it on some trees. them deer will eat the bark trying to get all the peanut butter. Had 2 stands couple of years ago, you would get hungry sitting in them.lol. one area smelled like vanilla and the other peanut butter.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

the most unusual thing i've ever heard of being used was by a buddy of mine. This sounds nasty but, had the mounts on the wall to prove its effectiveness. He would hang his wife's used feminine hygeine products from a tree, during the rut. said it worked better than doe eustrus.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 AM
B&C 140 Class

Vanilla used to be used as a trapper's scent. Works really well on just about anything. With all the scents available today, it's not as popular as it once was. I guess because realtree doesn't make it . But it's a good attractant. I used peanut butter by one of my trail cams last winter. Fattened up several coons with it. They'd go thru a family sized jar in one night once they found it. Never did get a pic of deer using it. Got a couple looking at it tho.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
ronn

there is a product pushed by the fitzgarlds. vanilla-killa. i tried it years ago with the same success as everything else, zero. i will use a doe in heat type scent or a doe pee sometimes buts thats about it. i basically don't use any attractant. i think the older deer know something is amiss when a new smell is introduced.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have been rethinking my scent tactics in the past few seasons also. I believe that estrus scents are over marketed and over stated for their success , at least in our area due to the lack of buck to doe ratio. Even cover scents are being rethought. Go back to the basics and stay as scent free as possible and play the wind. Bear hunting is a different story as far as curiosity scents go. Don't get me wrong , to each his own but I have seen more deer spooked by scents than drawn in by them.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr- View Post
I have been rethinking my scent tactics in the past few seasons also. I believe that estrus scents are over marketed and over stated for their success , at least in our area due to the lack of buck to doe ratio. Even cover scents are being rethought. Go back to the basics and stay as scent free as possible and play the wind. Bear hunting is a different story as far as curiosity scents go. Don't get me wrong , to each his own but I have seen more deer spooked by scents than drawn in by them.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
B&C 140 Class

Well, I really started playing with scents last year more that I ever had before. I am planning on stepping it up even more this year. I got some time between now and bow season and a trail cam to verify the outcomes. Guess I will start throwing a few things together and see what works and how good.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 AM
B&C 140 Class

I think staying as scent free as possible is the best way to go but if you're going to use attractants put a little thought into it. Most products are advertised to make things happen your way, not the natural way. It don't work that way. Everything happens in it's own time and you really need to be in tune with what's goin on in the woods. That's with scents, calls, whatever. Scents will work, I've had them work, but they won't if it's not time. Pay attention
Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

I used vanilla extract and Buck bomb last season. Not sure if they worked but I tagged two deer last season.