bug repellant? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Default bug repellant?

1 of my bow stands this year is going to be about 35 yds from a pond. the mosqitos tend to try and carry you off on the warm days. i am wondering if any of yall have found some type of bug repel stuff that actually works that want give off a scent that deer will pick up on. most of the stuff i have come across that claims to be scent free i can smell it. and if i can smell it i know deer can. any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Default bug repellant.

Hey buck, they make a thin insect repellant camo. sorry if it dont do ya no good.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
B&C 180 Class

i tried no more stinkin bugs in fresh earth but it gave me a headache.i got a thermacell but i havent tried it deer hunting yet.other than that id say buy a bug suit
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

The thermacell is great but only while in one spot and I use deep woods off untill I get settled in.Would love to get one of those bugproff suits.Would also love some sentblocker duds but not in my budit.
Ohh well For now I'll stick with the off.Playing the wind from the side works for me.In other words don't hunt upwind or downwind but with the wind crossing in front of you.You might be pleasantly surprised.Learned this after being busted by several bucks coming in behind me while facing into the wind.Also need to be on their travel route because a wary buck with circle a food source to test the wind before coming in most of the time.
Good Luck
Rock
Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 PM
B&C 180 Class

your on a roll buddy
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Bugproof suit

I was lucky enough to come across a full suit at Gander Mountain for $15.00 It is thin, camo, 3 piece with full hood that has elastic straps that go over your shoulders. The hood also has a "see-through" mesh section that isn't camo'd. The only down side to the suit was getting the pants over my boots. the entire suit comes in a little "package" that measures about six cubic inches.
the suit did a great job while I was spring turkey hunting along river-bottoms and dense cover.