Deer Hunting Forums banner

getting ready for deer 2010

8K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  Predator 
#1 ·
I was at the range last Saturday trying to get some more quality shooting time in and had some unusual company with me. Finally got my son to go shooting. as a matter of fact it was pretty much his first time shooting any bow much less a 60# compound bow. He did really good too, much better than I expected. I have him practicing with my firestorm lite till we can find him his own bow. I found a nice field point target that I am considering picking up. Its a Morrel professional grade target. Incredibly, it weighs about 50lbs. but is is massive and should last a real long time. I have about 2 months to get him shooting consistently well for qualification to hunt the conservation district this year and a good quality target around the house would be great. it takes about 45 min to get to the range vs pulling the target out and taking a few shots all in the time it would take to get the bow cases together.

#3 ·
He is 17 now. he will be 18 when the season starts. Having him in the field will surely make hunting this year much more interesting, and quite possibly more bountiful.
I tend to monitor how much venison is on hand so we never run out, well he complained one day that I don't pull enough venison from the freezer to keep him happy. I responded to that by saying, if you want venison anytime you want, you need to get up early and go hunting with me and do your share in putting it on the table. you shoot a deer, you can have deer anytime you want till your deer is gone. well, it didn't take long for that to register.

#5 ·
Your son is very fortunate to have you there to teach him. I have been hunting without my dad since the first day I legally could and he won't be joining me again. Being shot in a hunting accident at age 12 keeps him from getting excited for any type of hunting. We have a great relationship and he supports me in everything I do, but it sure would be nice if he had the passion for the outdoors that I do. Anytime your son might complain about obsessive instruction or constructive critisism, remind him that many of us would love to have someone there to do that with us.

On the other hand, my dad has sacrificed a tremendous amount for us to travel the country racing dirt bikes which both of us are very passionate about

G
#6 ·
my son is 18 now also. from the age of 14, when he got his first deer, he loved hunting. now at 18 he is a little more interested in his girl friend. guess i really can't blame him if hunting takes a back burner. grin

#8 ·
SM
4 out of 5 arrows in a 6" circle at 20 yds using broad heads or expendables. its pretty much a cake walk, they just want to make sure you can hit the side of house before letting you out there. not all conservation districts allow hunting, I just happen to live within one that has substantial overcrowding (so they say). I will be video taping the season this year, I am hoping that buck I missed last fall survived another season. I would love to get a crack at him again.

#12 ·
If there was a post advertising hunting camps here, it shouldnt have been here in the first place.
We now have places for them to post If they dont want to follow rules and post in the proper locations it's not our fault if they get deleted
I've already moved a few myself but only because I had time to spare but If I dont have the time I'll just delete them too.

P.S. Congratulations to your son Airbourne, sounds like he's doing really well.

#10 ·
ronn,
girls are not a problem here, he don't have time for girls. literally!
he is working toward his Eagle scout project in boy scouts, he is in varsity football, cheer leading, lacrosse, band and carrying a 3.14 gpa and working real hard toward his first deer by bow this fall.

#13 ·
Thanks ronn, BB

It dont take a lot of effort to imagine a totally different scenario. Pretty happy with the one that was delt though.

#14 ·
I had some second thoughts about the target I was planning on picking up. Man, $100.00 for a target. I know targets have never been an inexpensive item and generally were not really worth the price at any level. there are some exceptions to the rule. for example, King manufactures a great broadhead target. it took many years and a lot of single season targets before I found theirs. I would like to find an inexpensive field point target that has a halfway decent life expectancy. So for everything that is of any value runs over $60.00. Any recommendations?

#17 ·
I am sooo pumped for this year already!! just 183 days till bow deer in Illinois.
But this year I want to do it all. Bow, Shot gun and Muzzleloader. My problem is, I dont like to hunt on the cheap.
I got a shotgun. but its more a bird gun than anything and by the time I buy a new slug barrel, I may as well buy a slug gun. the cost is so close these days.
And a muzzle loader is a whole new story. I like the TC line, but Ohhhhhh the price tags.

#19 ·
I would do that but the barrel on my Rem 870 is not threaded and too thin to have the work done on. which means new barrel or new gun. I think I would opt for new gun given the pros and cons.

#20 ·
The one good thing about patience is it sometimes can save you some $$$. I decided to switch the arrows over to broad heads and forgo the field point target. there are some great deals on season supplies right now, you know the ones that you need each year and the ones that nickle and dime you to death. many are 50% off right now. cover scents, deer attractants and outerwear.

#21 ·
I took my son to the range today to preshoot some bows, first thing he shot was a PSE striker. the draw stroke was smooth and easy, it had a nice wall for him to anchor at and he shot 2 three arrow groups of three inches at 15 yds. not bad for a bow off the rack and a novice this year.

then we went out and shot our first broadheads of the new season. no, I didnt get him the bow (striker) yet. I told him he had to make qualification first.

I was impressed further with my new X Force though. I paper tested it a couple weeks ago and it is shooting bullets, I switched to broadheads and it is shooting 125gr muzzys like they are field points. It was real windy today, so it was a good practice for both of us. I had to hold one shot for what was easily 3-4 minutes and still put the arrow in the kill zone. It was however a while before my next arrow. I picked up a new tru-fire release today ( my 4th TF)and passed one on to my son. he had become attached to my 360 strap on and was actually shooting well with it.

going to shoot again tomorrow.

#24 ·
"first thing he shot was a PSE striker"

I had a little disagreement with my son on the name of the bow he shot. I said it was a stinger and he said it was a striker. well I guess I had striker on the brain when I was typing a few days ago.:wallbash:

It was a stinger.

#25 ·
Outside of the new bow for my son after he qualifies next week, I have a pretty good sized shopping list for this coming bow season. Looks like the first item is going to be the Bushnell 5.0 Mp infrared trail cam. a pricey little toy but filled with goodies. I feel by adding this item now, I will have plenty of time to become well acquainted with all the potential targets.

My son has been practicing with my old bow for the last 2 months or so. until tonight, I haven't shot it since I purchased the X force. I never really thought that it kicked much til now. man, its like a shotgun. I think I have gotten too used to the X force.

I let him put 3 arrows through it with the warning, Don't get too used to it.

#26 ·
I picked up the trail cam this evening. along with 8 AA ultamate lithium batteries that are supposed to keep it powered up for a whole year and a 16 GB SD card. The trail cam will take 3,5 and 8 megapixel still images as well as video footage in increments of 5-60 secs. going to try to get it out in the field this weekend. would be great to see some velvet.

#28 ·
You will most definitly see the pics. I may end up placing the trail cam in a position on hunting days so it will snap pics of the deer in the shooting lane and catch me in the tree stand in the back ground. Plus I will be rolling my vid cam from the tree stand from the opposite angle.

#30 ·
Its a done deal.
My son completed a successful qualification this evening and all systems are go from here on out. I will probably pick up his bow tomorrow night after work. A lot of practice for the newbie, wannabe deer hunter paid off as he shot 4 arrows and was done, never needed the 5th.
Now the fun practice I warned him about is going to start

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.