Deer Hunting Forums banner

trophy hunting or meat hunting

10K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  redman5850 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many of you guys consider yourselves to be trophy hunters and how many consider yourselves meat hunters and how many are both? Also, how many of you set a minimum standard as to what you are looking for in a buck? (if not a trophy by B.C. standards, at least a certain number of points or size, etc. - or it walks.) My standard for bucks is 8 points or more, but I also do meat hunts for antelope and elk. (Those two taste so good, it would be a real shame not to put one in the freezer because of what might NOT be on its head)!

G
#2 ·
Its a thought provoking question onehorse. I'm both or neither or one or the other. I can turn up the trophy thermostat if thats what i'm after or down if I'm after meat. I guess if i get a deer or two in the freezer then i hunt for what i consider a trophy. does passing little ones make me a trophy hunter? i don't know but i'm trying not to shoot 1.5 old bucks but if time is running out and i got nothing in the freezer there is a chance i would take him.

#3 ·
"Trophy or not to trophy that is the question?" a lot in my circumstances depends where you are hunting, i am assuming deer? but it could be anything.
I some areas there is no potential for trophy animals so we do as the normal for the area.
But the real trophy is sitting down to a cubed venison steak with a little gravy on and topped with some butter fried mushrooms.
Just the opinion of a food addict.
daddus1

#4 ·
Onehorse as you well know, here in Vermont the hunters can't be too strict on what they choose to harvest.
Ideally I'd like a mature buck with a minimum of 6 points during the Vermont archery or rifle seasons,
I'm not fussy on which doe to take out, a doe of any size during the archery season is acceptable But
if the Muzzleloader season arrives and my freezers empty of venison, then I'm simply looking for any legal harvest.

#5 ·
Any deer is a trophy depending what I'm using to harvest it with. In PA archery three on one side is miminum for bucks. I like to locate a legal buck and start the chess game. With flintlocks in late season is usually trying to fill doe tags or leftover tags. So I guess I'm a freezer kind of guy who tries to shoot the best buck in the area and settles for a legal buck. I don't have the time to be a true trophy hunter and I don't hunt an area that produces big bucks, thats my choise! I also value my close hunting buddies and that plays into things too.

#10 ·
Any deer is a trophy depending what I'm using to harvest it with. I don't have the time to be a true trophy hunter and I don't hunt an area that produces big bucks, thats my choise!
As do I HM, hunt in an area that the bucks are small. We have a saying that a spike is a Bergton 11 pointer. I believe they don't get a chance to age due to poaching to feed their families but I could be wrong! Anyways I have to say for me it's to fill the freezer. I'm 34 years old and have been hunting for as long as I can remember and this past season is the first time have had anything mounted. I don't see anything wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat goes somewhere and not wasted.

#6 ·
Its meat first. the trophy is the bonus. I generally buy 4 tags at the start of the season which allows me to shoot anything that passes the stand without jeopardizing any opportunity to shoot a trophy that comes along afterward. cheap insurance by any other name. and I can allways go but additional tags if necessary.

#7 ·
140+/4.5 years old +. I like big old bucks, the little guys just don't do it for me. Love to watch them but if I shoot one he is going to the taxidermist. I hunt for the challenge. Knock on wood I have been very fortunate never to go without fresh venison. It may take me awhile to locate, pattern, and give a dirt nap to one but it is all about the hunt not always the kill. Just love a fist full of bone.:thumbup::yes::pickle:

#8 ·
wmi,

I tried to pm you, but was blocked from doing so. you may want to reconsider your last comment.

I am sure everyone knows what you mean, but.

#13 ·
Both!!!!!! Bow season is usually take the does out and find some food. Closer to rut during ML and rifle season my mood changes to buck hunting. Not to say I will not take a doe during the later part of the season (because we always have to thin our herd in TN) I am just alot less likely to take a doe. When it comes to what size buck I will take it depends on which spot I am hunting.

On my lease where we try to manage it has to be at least a 6 pointer but each of us usually hold off on those unless we havent shot a deer yet. We usually wait for what we would consider a wall hanger or good buck in TN. 110 inch or so or better.

Now when Im on my bro-in-laws place if we have a chance to both shoot deer on the same hunt (since we hardly ever get to hunt together) I am more prone to step out of the "trophy" hunting mood Im in when Im on the lease.

No matter what mood im in "trophy" or "meat" i still love deer hunting just as much..

#14 ·
"I don't see anything wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat goes somewhere and not wasted."

Now that's what my grand-pappy taught me as a young-un. (Did I spell that right?) Don't shoot something unless the meat's going into at least someone's freezer. If it's a trophy, then it's even better.

As far as minimum of points, we have that new 13" minimum which typically means at least an 8 point before he's legal. Let plenty of six pointers go this past season just for that reason. One 6-pt had a huge body, but the antler spread would have gotten me afoul of the game warden if I'd done anything but watch him through the scope like I did.

I'm consider myself more of a meat hunter, but don't mind trying for "the big one" that my daughter has pictures of. He's even been near enough to the house for her to spook just the other day, so I know that he survived this past season. Sure hope my work schedule doesn't change. Maybe this year I can be home on opening day of the season . . . . . . . for once.

#15 ·
I guess I a little of both. I will keep a years supply of deer meat in the freezor but will not shoot a young buck. As WMI said, they just don't do it for me any more. But, his idea of a little one isn't the same as mine. :rolleyes: We have plenty of does here for meat, too many actually. There was a time I'd shoot a young buck if it were a unique situation. I once called a spike to me on the ground while I was scouting and shot him at 20 yards with a bow. I sneaked up on a 5pt feeding in a soybean field and shot him a 15 yards. That kind of thing, but it got too easy on the little guys. Anymore I'll wait on a better than average buck for the farm I'm hunting, one for the wall. So, I guess I'm a trophy hunter where bucks are concerned. But I'm a meat hunter also.

#17 ·
I consider myself both, the first weekend of season on my property I shoot my doe's, whitetail and axis. I spend the rest of the season hunting my trophies, Sika, blackbuck, Fallow. I shot a big 155 class 11 point 2 years ago and want something larger or with a droptine so I let my kids or a guest shoot the bucks. I trophy hunt my Axis in May and June (33'' or better). Owning my own property (500 of 3000 acres in Real county, Texas, my non-hunting siblings own the rest) has definate benefits.

#18 ·
this also is a good topic to discuss. i am a deer hunter, period. love all things about it. i hunt mainly for meat. but if a nice buck gives me a shot--- that being said. i enjoy the outdoors, and just being out in them. i feel i have already "won" just being in the woods. if i get to harvest that is a bonus.

#19 ·
I hunt primarily for the meat. I love venison and take pride in not havving bought beef (except for one pack of hamburger) for the past 3 years. I Love the idea of a monster trophy buck. I take pride in what is left over after the cutting boards are cleaned. If I had waited for a trophy buck, well, I'd still be waiting. The offseason if for dreaming about big racks, deer season is about the venison.

#22 ·
WMI, you're not alone, just different goals. I'm glad not everyone goes after the really big boys might be too much pressure on them and a lot of unhappy hunters. :wink: Some areas cannot produce trophy bucks and so we try to get a mature one and thats still hunting and requires pretty good skill to do, especially when time limits are at hand. This is where the next step down hunters seem to fall into, myself included. I will agree on one thing you have pretty high goals and stick to/do them well. Sometimes i think you are like those people who go out and live with the gorillas to learn about them and their secrets, only in your case big bucks. :bye:

G
#24 · (Edited)
in my mind a trophy is any buck that is like 4.5 yo regardless of head gear. even an old, 4.5+ yo, doe can be a trophy. something with age that makes them particularly hard to hunt.

i don't know many that would pass a 140" 3.5 year old buck, wmi would/has. heck i've done it but in a area that 140 is considered an average buck. it would be a dead deer here in nh.

#26 ·
You guys crack me up. HM is right I believe I have different goals. Do I wish everyone else had the same goals?-- YES!!! But only because it would make my seasons easier because there would be more BIG BUCKS! Am I patient?--Yes. However the real reason is I'm getting old and lazy, just too tired dragging out all of those deer. Shooting deer is fun but short lived because all that follows is a ton of work!:zzz::coffee:

#29 ·
BF I already spend more time fishing than hunting but there is never more than an hour or two that passes without me thinking of both. As far as regs I wish they could do 20" main beam length or more but most would never be able to guess that right. 20" is right at the limit of 99.9% of Pope & Young min score of 125. 20" of tine length on one side would be another good reg.. For those that do not know the old standard of telling a P&Y contender it is known as the 20/20 rule. If it has both you most likely have a P&Y gross buck. In most areas this is a 3 1/2 year old or better however I have seen quit a few 2 1/2 year olds that would make it. When Ronn and I went to ILL. a guy there shot a 12 point 2 1/2 year old that made P&Y as well as pissing the outfitter off big time. That buck would have been a world class monster in 2 or 3 more years.
I love to hunt. I love all the animals, birds, smell of the woods, the challenge, the tracking and statagies but most of all having a monach buck come into my shooting lane. September 15th won't get here soon enough.:sadbanana::pickle:

G
#35 ·
yea there are some nice ones. but the pics of the bigger older deer, 4.5 years old, and still won't make p&y or do just barely. we just don't have the high quality foods which is part of the reason for the high % of winter kill. nh is 83% forest. now that doesn't mean its 17% field. most of the balance is town or city. it just shows how different parts of the country have different issues to deal with. in states with lots of posted land that can not be hunted think about the number of sanctuaries there are that allow deer to reach a ripe old age. the down side of these areas is they also tend to be over populated with deer which also restricts a bucks full potential. age, food, and genetics, take out one part and the chances of a buck reaching their full potential is lessened dramatically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.