Deer Hunting Forums banner

What hunting Has turned Into

9K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  timberghost 
#1 ·
In my opinion hunting has changed into a money maker because of all these un needed things such as expensive guns and other high tech things when all you need is a weapon , calls and camo, throw in a tree stand maybe and you are set. todays hunting is sometimes sickening.

#2 ·
These gadjets (so called needed) may be nice but do we really need them? I think not, the old tried and true methods still work fine, the more basic and back to the old ways give me more satisfaction then all the hi-tech gadgets that you can get. I much prefer to hand kraft most of my things I carry in the bush. I'm lucky every year and have a ball the rest of the year, trying to think up what I can make during the rest of the year when not hunting. Hunting does not need to cost a fortune. just my 2 cents:biggrin:

#3 ·
hunting does not need to cost a fortune and wisconsinhotty what do you need camo, calls and a tree stand for ?rub dirt on your face wear regular work cloths and ground hunt.You use them because they make the hunt more enjoyable,so do all the other "gadgets" dont buy em if dont like em but dont knock em either.Just cuz you hunt a different way than someone else doent make your way the best we all need to stick together in the face of all the antihunting pressure

#4 ·
yeah i find myself looking at hunting and wish it were more like the old days sometimes. but then ill be the first to buy a new gun or some new camo or something like that. i just like that kind of stuff. you are right when you say hunting does not have to cost a fortune. it takes very little money to start if you just want to go get in the woods and shoot a deer. and joel your right us hunters do need to stick together because of all these anti-hunting groups we have running around these days. the hunting that makes me sick is still not considered hunting in my book. and that is those web sites where you buy your deer from the high fence ranch and then book the hunt to go shoot it. thats my one gripe. sorry but i had to spit that one out there. to me thats not considered hunting but killing.

#6 ·
i totally am for spending extra money on a hobby or lifestyle but i am not all for maxing out credit cards and going totally broke..... and of course we need to stick together because hunting is what it think makes america.

#8 ·
well there is the middle east where kids are born with AK 47's in there arms...but it isnt hunting for animals if you get my drift

#9 ·
:goodposting: ya got a point

#11 ·
and the sad part is is that they dont try to stop it themselves...its left to the U.S.
and they arent the only country like that

#13 ·
I've found a compromise in the way I go about spending money on my hunting needs. I've fabricated a "rig" that has combined my treestand ladder and deer cart into one item. Granted, it's not exactly high class, but it is functional. I also made my treestand blind out of camo fabric at a cost of $2 a yard. I use a pole from my ground blind to hang it. Again, not totally sophisticated, but functional.

I find this "hunting on a budget" to be part of the challenge. But this thought comes from a guy that goes hunting on a honda rebel 250cc with his gun mounted across his handlebars or strapped to the luggage rack. Yes, it is quite a sight that most would just shake their heads at.

I have noticed a lot of "gadgets" while diving back into this sport. I also feel that hunting is something different to all of us. Whether one chooses to employ remote predator calls or hunt in blue jeans, the great thing is that we're all out there maintaining a heritage and tradition that is productive and enjoyable.

#16 ·
the thing about hunting is about how you can use your instinct, skill, and strategy. you dont need to buy expenisive aids

#17 ·
Hunting can be expensive so when I started a few years ago I bought a used bow just to see if this was something I wanted to do,I did so I bought a new bow & full set up and I do plan on using this for years to come,,now we've all seen all the remarkable products out there and yes if there's a market for it someones gonna try to sell it whether or not the thing works or not and yes I've bought a handfull thats gone in the trash and I sure I try more stuff,,,thats where other hunters come in,the ones who have tried these items and ones that have not and are looking for advice, yes the hunter is what has made hunting into a booming buisness and I can't wait till sept 15th to try out the deer pee I bought back in febuary :smile:

#19 ·
I USE 35MM FILM CANs stuffed with cotton then i tie a clothspin to them with tape you use to track deer with.the tape allows you to find them the clips allow you to clip them to the trees the cans are sealable so you dont get scent all over your gear .you can get the cans for free at drug stores that do film developing for free total cost is about 50 cents:wink:

#20 ·
this may sound funny but my friends dad uses unscented tampons because they absorb well and las year he shot a 12 pointer who was sniffing the good stuff 50 yards away

#21 ·
you can also use the pads with adhesive on them for the soles of your boots to spread scent while walking:thumbup:

#22 ·
The last few years I've been lucky enough to go on some exotic hunts through my job to some very nice ranchs with very nice lodges and such and they have been great fun.I've spent my whole life that I can remember going hunting thanks to my dad.Right now today I get the most enjoyment hitting the open woods(national forrests) with nothing but my shotgun and my trusty ole compass.Getting a wary deer hunting on his terms is the most satisfying feeling I can think of ever having.Thats about as cheap as the sport can get.This year I'm venturing into the sport of bowhunting.I purchased my bow on e-bay for $51 shipped to me.Spent about another $150 on accesseries and I'm ready to try it.That seemed reasonable to me also and gives me another whole month in the woods doing what I love.It will be a lot cheaper next year-maybe a few arrows and another target.The price of hunting license and all the tags (they come up with more every year ti seems) is kinda high but affordable for being my hobby of choice.If I couldn't get on the water or into the woods on a regular basis I think I'd lose my mind.But maybe I already have.LOL
Rock

#23 ·
the woods/water has the power to soothe the soul:goodposting:

#24 ·
and i think deer hunting is too much about the antlers...people do crazy things just for aset of antlers

#25 ·
I don't think all "NEW" hunting things are necessarily gadgets..
A good example might be,,, a person that can't walk for great distances or stalk may opt for a treestand to increase his or HER odds.. I personally don't want to use a treestand because I don't like the feeling of being confined to just one tree or one hunting area...

Everything manufactured solely for the purpose of hunting has a use and a user, just because it's made doesn't mean we ALL need it.
When I see something new for hunting that might be considered a manufactured gadget, I start trying to analyze why they made it and who was it targeted for..... Maybe it was designed for someone that's handicapped or physically challenged in some way.. PERSONALLY, I'm still waiting for them NEW "Round The Corner Arrows" those are the ones that allow you to shoot that Deer thats standing just around that big ole Oak tree and refuses to come into the "ZONE" NOW that's what i'm waitin on.... LOL :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.