A Deers powerful Nose - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Default A Deers powerful Nose

I want to share this story with everyone here because It's just fascinating when you think about it.

I was hunting our Muzzleloader Season here in Vermont and when I went in the woods Tuesday morning, after I got to my spot I pulled out my knife and began to eat an apple.
There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground and the Temp's. were freezing during this time.
After I finished with the apple I dropped the core down next to the tree I was standing at.
I had been checking this area Daily due to fresh rubs and scrapes but because of hunting pressures the deer moved into higher elevations and were only coming down at night so I didn't get back to this spot until Saturday morning.
When I got to my tree there were fresh tracks everywhere, Tracks made just hours before even where I stood each time I hunted this spot and now we even had another 2 to 3 inches of fresh snow on top of what was already there not only were there fresh deer tracks but I could see where a buck had put his nose into the snow to smell for what was there, YUP It was my Apple Core the same Apple core I dropped there Tuesday but he didn't eat it as it was frozen solid, the thing that amazes me is, #1 not only the power of the deers nose but, #2 the Deers ability to locate a frozen apple core, Out of all the places that Deer could have traveled to/through his nose lead him right to a little 3x3 square inch area of woods where he literally had to bury his nose into the snow to find a single frozen apple core.... That's just simply amazing to me..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

Smile Deer's nose

Ok Bruce, you are in Vermont.
1. You went deer hunting.
2. You brought with you an apple probably bought in a store.
3. You placed some of this apple in the woods by your stand.
4. This apple item enticed a deer to your location.
5. In Vermont that is called baiting.
6. In Vermont baiting is illegal.
7. You could be arrested for this unlawful activity.

Good thing a Warden in a bad mood did not observe this incident.

Have a good day and be safe out there. LOL!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
ronn

bruce, you mean like this

Last edited by ronn; 12-14-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Rogo, I'm not even going to try to reply to your ridiculous comment

Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
B&C 160 Class

i have had this exact conversation with a dept of fish and game offacer. his responce was if you eat an apple and drop the core like bruce did it is not baiting. it is only bating if you droped bait to bring the deer in, and that there would need to be several cores, or apple slices scattered around the area for it to be baiting.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Deer's nose

Hey guys

Relax, it was just a joke! Man you people are getting paranoid.
I'll post no more jokes for sure.

Actually I will just log off this forum. Bye

Last edited by rogo; 12-14-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM

When someone calls my hunting activities "Unlawful" I get a little edgy,
I don't take jokes like that lightly.
I asked a Vermont Game warden about dropping an apple core and he said basically the same thing as huntnh said.
I would have a field day in court if a warden cited me for such nonsense, an apple core is less of an attractant than, Tinks 69. Code Blue, Doe P, buck lures, etc., etc., etc.,,, Which would you rather have on your ground an a harmless apple core or bottled liquids that might contain diseases like CWD.
and for the Record I'm still trying my best to have all bottled attractants and Buck lures outlawed here in Vermont, SO, when they outlaw those types of attractants I'll stop dropping my apple core on the ground.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
ronn

bruce, really? you're trying to get scents outlawed in vt? could there be a logical or rational reason for such a move? how many cases of cwd have been caused by scents? what about synthetic scents? food scents? cover scents? what about taking a tarsal from a buck just shot? i certainly hope the folks in vt are traditional enough and rational enough to make sure that ban doesn't happen.

yea, those jokes just end up being really not funny but i don't think he meant anything by it.

oh and you're right it is amazing how they can smell an acorn under inches of snow.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

that is pretty cool how they can smell a froze solid apple core threw all the snow..thanks for sharing your story
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
bruce, really? you're trying to get scents outlawed in vt? could there be a logical or rational reason for such a move? how many cases of cwd have been caused by scents? what about synthetic scents? food scents? cover scents? what about taking a tarsal from a buck just shot? i certainly hope the folks in vt are traditional enough and rational enough to make sure that ban doesn't happen.

yea, those jokes just end up being really not funny but i don't think he meant anything by it.

oh and you're right it is amazing how they can smell an acorn under inches of snow.
Ronn, I only meant urine-based deer lures/scents and I personally use urine-based deer lures/scents myself but each time I do I worry whether or not that I may be contributing to the risks of using the stuff myself because nobody knows if CWD can be spread through urine-based deer lures and nobody knows if any animal has ever contracted CWD this way but what they do know is once a state becomes contaminated with CWD that state has it for life. I don't think areas like Vermont, Maine or even NH can afford the risks of using scents "IF" there's a chance cwd could be acquired that way.

I don't think any area should allow the use of urine-based deer lures/scents until more studies are done that give solid proof that they are safe to use.
I also don't believe any hunters hunt would be handicapped by temporarily banning urine-based deer lures/scents, at least until we know.

Here's a short article from the CWD Alliance website titled, How does CWD spreadin this article it says "It is not known exactly how CWD is transmitted. The infectious agent may be passed in feces, urine or saliva." At this point shouldn't we at least consider a temporary ban? I think so and If the manufacturers of the urine-based deer lures/scents want to make claims that their products are safe then they should contribute to get the necessary studies done to back up their claims. JMO