Knife Sharpener Recommendations? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

Spiderco is the only one I use and it will make your knife shaving sharp in just a few minutes first time out. It will take seconds after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Default ceramic stick knife sharpener

For unbeatable quality, try the Lansky Turn Box Crock Stick Knife Sharpener from Unbeatable Deals UNDER $20 !

The best I have ever used is two ceramic sticks in a block of wood at 35 degree angles. Just push the knife straight down on alternating sticks. You can make it like a razor and it is foolproof. Google to find other choices; I put the website here to show you what it looks like. Only problem is you must be careful or the knife can slip on and cut your finger....i did it.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 AM
B&C 100 Class

HM can you provide a little insight to the technique used with a wet stone for me? I have one but like alot of things, you have to know how to use it! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyV View Post
HM can you provide a little insight to the technique used with a wet stone for me? I have one but like alot of things, you have to know how to use it! Thanks in advance.

BennyV I will send you a private message with a link that will teach you how to sharpen a knife.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 12-14-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks BB this is why I joined the Club!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy Griffin View Post
For unbeatable quality, try the Lansky Turn Box Crock Stick Knife Sharpener from Unbeatable Deals UNDER $20 !

The best I have ever used is two ceramic sticks in a block of wood at 35 degree angles. Just push the knife straight down on alternating sticks. You can make it like a razor and it is foolproof. Google to find other choices; I put the website here to show you what it looks like. Only problem is you must be careful or the knife can slip on and cut your finger....i did it.
Foolproof is exactly what I need. After seing how many guys swear by a whetstone I may have to keep trying, but a system that locks down the knife angle seems like it would be the easiest for a rookie like myself.

I've heard carbon steel blades are easier to sharpen than stainless, but it seems alot of the stuff in my kitchen drawer (used for chicken processing) have stainless steel blades. Would I be better off putting a good edge on stainless or trying to find a knife made with different steel?

Thanks to all you guys that have taken the time to provide tips, links, and advice.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Knife Sharpeners : Update after one year of use....

Welll - based off several of ya'lls recommendations, I ultimately went with a Lansky system with the knife clamp. It was a little more expensive (around $40), but it keeps a consistent angle for a rookie like myself. The only downside is sharpening blades over ~6 inches. You have to reposition the knife in the clamp to sharpen the entire length of the blade.

As a compromise for longer blades, I bought one of the Ozitech DiamondFinger sharpeners. The case is pretty cheap (plastic), but it puts a nice edge on my wife's kitchen knives, and is quicker to use than the Lansky.

To summarize - the Lansky will put a razor edge on a knife. It works best for knives with shorter blades, and I use it exclusively for pocket knives, etc.

The Ozitech sharpener has become the one we use for the kitchen knives. It folds up nicely, and is conveniently stored in one of the kitchen drawers. When a blade seems to be getting dull, a few swipes and it's ready to go again.

Thanks again for all the info you guys provided.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default GATCO for quality sharpening

Sharp knives is my obsession and I found it eased when I got GATCO knife sharpening kit (with an extra fine piece bought separate). It's same as Lansky but I found GATCO to be a better quality (a bit wider and sturdier pieces). I'd second Lansky, but I like GATCO more.
That's for quality sharpening.

For a fast one, get yourself a double v-notch Smith Abrasives 2-Step Knife Sharpener (yellow model, you can find it at Amazon). That thingie makes wife (un)happy with too sharp knives at no time and with no skill required (the missus will get used to sharp ones too).