Disappointing conversation - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile

I am very blessed to have a small portion of land in good deer habitat.....I know the frustaration that our friend has. Regardless of what I do on my own property, I can not control the actions of hunters/owners on adjoining property. It's hard but part of hunting...someway we have to stay true to our own strategies and let the rest of it go. I really don't have a problem with someone harvesting a good animal as long as it is done ethically......sometimes hard to understand why it wasn't me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
B&C 160 Class

We only have a small 540 acre farm
the way i see it ..When i let a nice medium buck walk he has a good chance to get smarter and bigger next year...i give him a extra chance but if he walks in the wrong spot unfortunately some one else will think hes a good buck..
but if my extra chance lets him go another year its worth it..
I am happy finding his sheds
Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM

540 is a nice chunk of property to have! Maybe not a super-mega farm where you need 12 combines to harvest crops but it sure is something to own, manage, and admire, something I'd love to have.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj View Post
Well, I guess I should have expected some of these comments. I do realize that I can't control everything that happens to this particular deer herd, but I was just saying I was disappointed to hear that both of the deer I had put effort into keeping alive were killed by someone else. This is just me mourning for the deer I should have killed next year or the year after. They were good deer with even better potential in this area. I am not mad at this guy for doing it, just like I said...disappointed that I don't get to see what they would have turned into.

The guy that killed these deer has one buck on his wall that scored 201 and a couple others that are over 170. I just didn't understand his motive for shooting these, and when I questioned him he said that day was his last opportunity to hunt this year. I know the place he hunts very well because it is right in the middle of the biggest part of my hunting land. There is an unbelievable number of deer that travel across it, and he said himself that he saw a bunch of does that day. I guess this goes right along with Ronn's topic about why some hunters will pass does to kill young bucks.
Stick with your goals. I have the same problem here if not more so. Maryland is ranked number 2# only to Wisconsin for harvesting immature bucks. What I have found Is once they make it past 3.5 years of age the likelihood of one of those guys shooting one is close to zero. Stick with it because the few that do sneak by make it all worth while. Not only are they true trophies but the challenge they make for you as a hunter is what I live for every season. Just harvesting one of these seasoned deer can make your whole season. This year with health issues and work was my toughest yet. On Jan. 1st my time came to get my trophy buck, it was the only deer I shot all year but man what a feeling to be able to grab those horns. Not every deer is meant to become old and mature. Trophy bucks are not just a big rack but also the honor role student of the woods. Stick with your plan and the cream of the crop will come to the top.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
Not every deer is meant to become old and mature. Trophy bucks are not just a big rack but also the honor role student of the woods.

Wise words of wisdom right there. Take an old buck that has danced around hunters and survived a few years and you have a real trophy, regardless of antler size.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

I might also add that I passed my buck up two years ago on opening day of bow season. This buck was a P&Y as a 2.5 year old. He has gone unseen by me for 2 years until this year, he was well worth the wait but it also shows just how well they can live right under your nose without leaving hardly any clues. Snow was his down fall this year.