what would you do ? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Scrub Buck

Default what would you do ?

What would you do if the 100 acre wood lot had four or five bucks harvested already this season and is bucks only? would you hunt a different area ? do you think that this will hurt the breeding population ? I live in NH where the herd isn't the best .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

Id maybe let it cool a bit but not for the season. In my experiences the bucks will be replaced quickly, usually with slightly lesser bucks but not always.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
ronn

first off now that we know where you live i understand better where you are coming from with the if its brown its down mentality. its a hard thing to pass any legal deer in nh. cause that maybe your only shot all season. again limited tags and meat for the freezer thing.

the does will get bred. even if its by a 1 1/2 buck. i saw this very thing happen a few years back in an area i hunt. i think there were 6 bucks taken out of this area. it took a couple years for things to come back to "normal". do what you want as far as hunting it but i think an area only holds so many bucks.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:06 PM

An area can only accomodate so many bucks but the rut will draw bucks into AND away from areas continually,,
So some of the bucks taken from that area may have actually been from miles away.
Id say fill your tag and don't lose sleep over doing it.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
An area can only accomodate so many bucks but the rut will draw bucks into AND away from areas continually,,
So some of the bucks taken from that area may have actually been from miles away.
Id say fill your tag and don't lose sleep over doing it.

If a doe is in heat she will draw bucks in and if they like your 100 you will have him next year. You may end up with a doe though if only bucks are killed.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM

Hmm I have mixed thoughts on this so bear with me.. Never really thought about this topic.. I'll mull it over as I type!!

In TN I would say go ahead and take the deer of your choice. Reason being there are a great number of deer here. Being in NH like you are I dont know? The main thing I would be concerned about is the area being over hunted.

Reason I am kinda topsy turvy on this topic is because of the "rut factor" on deer. Several of those 5 bucks could have been just passing through. For example me and bro-in-law just shot 2 bucks within 30 mins of each other on his 47 acres. Neither one of us had seen these 2 bucks before. (nor his wife) I believe these bucks we shot were just passing through. They see deer (bucks and does) on a daily basis just because they also live on this spot of land.

They have a ton of does on their land. Thats why I will hunt there during the rut time of year if I am looking for a decent buck. Its a great way to catch bucks making their rounds hunting for a hot doe. Those bucks dont call this land "home" per say but happened to make a run through there hunting for some hot does.

I guess basically what I am trying to say is if it is rut season and your 100 acres houses a lot of does than I would spend some time there. (as long as it hasnt been over hunted) How long ago were those bucks taken? Early season (pre rut)? Rut season? What were they? Yearlings? Etc.?

Body Bag I dont know if I agree with what your saying. "If a doe is in heat she will draw bucks in and if they like your 100 you will have him next year"

What do ya'll other hunters think? I think the buck will return home after he has done his rutting. I dont think he will top a rise of a hill and say. "wow this 100 acres looks nice, I think I will stay here." Granted he may relocate sometime or other as he matures and becomes more cautious to his surroundings but once he has matured and grown up I think his home base will stay that way until he is pushed out. Another words if the buck is rutting than hot doe is all thats on his mind. Finding a new home is not.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Scrub Buck

All of the bucks were harvested in the last three weeks. I think that its given up all it can for this year.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM

5 bucks in 3 weeks is alot of hunting.. Hopefully you have some other spots you can head too. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

good deer habitat is like a good trout stream take one out another will take its place
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 AM

Bucks are Roamers, unlike Does a buck will roam frequently under the safety of darkness but you can bet by morning they will be right back in their "Safe beds" come first light.
When a Buck is drawn miles and miles away by a Doe during the Rut I don't If any of them stay in those areas, I think over time they try to get back to where they started from but then again if there's good habitat in the new area and they feel safe,, why wouldn't they just stay?.