First Hunts with my kids - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 AM

I think you're correct... LOL
All I was saying was, if it's legal, why shouldn't anyone, youth hunter or adult hunter be allowed to shoot it?
I don't think ANY legally harvested deer requires a reason to harvest it.

Just imagine your son or daughter (any Youth Hunter) taking a deer into a check in station,,,
Proud as a peacock , whether it's the youth's first deer or their 21'st deer
And they begin to get interrogated by some State official probably a Biologist on why they shot that legal deer.
You can bet your butt whether it's my kid or not,,, I am not going to stand by and watch anyone get drilled by anyone else because they shot a legal Deer.

The Brown is down mentality ( "IF It's brown it's down" ) means the person doesn't care what it is (buck, doe, fawn, cow, moose, dog, etc. etc.)
they're shooting it no matter what..
Hence the saying if it's Brown (Brown being the Only Stipulation) means kill it.
Whether that hunter has the proper tag to tag it with or not and that's Illegal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
B&C 100 Class

I considered shooting a brown horse last week. No one I txted said they would help me skin it though.

AR gives 4 deer tags, 2 bucks max but all 4 can be does. That tells me that someone might need to shoot a doe. Me and my daughter have killed 4 hehe (She shot one with each Pappaw in her first year with a gun, I am a proud pappa). Her 2 were bigger than mine, and I saw a white faced Grandma doe a couple afternoons ago that I wish I would have killed instead of that last yearling doe. So I see where the legal choice isn't always the best.

I just try to teach her everything that I know. Be patient, know your shot, know what is behind the target, know who is around. I am sure there will be mishaps along the way. I just want her to think about deer and love shooting them and never stop learning.

That's why I am here grudgingly learning from my elders have have seen more deer seasons than my 30 years.

Deer hamburger helper sure is good too.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
Sheesh... I leave for what, an hour?? And then all the action starts!!

What im getting out of this is "if its legal and you want to shoot it then shoot it."

And the only difference im getting out of ronn's is "if its legal and your gonna shoot it then have a good reason to shoot it." Have some kind of thought process (reason) in your head on why you took this particular deer. Dont go in the woods blasting away. Take a legal deer but dont kill it just to kill it.

Am I correct?
100% or 110 whatever it takes.

bruce here "if its brown, its down" means any deer is legal, so shoot it. always has been. thats what some of the hunters i know still say today if its one of those couple days of doe or buck.

Last edited by ronn; 12-03-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Scrub Buck

Absolutely , I think we have all said our peace on this subject and we understand that this is what makes our country what it is.Hunting is what you want it to be .And as long as you are safe and respect others and the property that you are on then all is fine. Agreed?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM
ronn

yup thats right.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
B&C 100 Class

My son shot his firt deer tonight. It was a broken off 6pt. He was out about thirty yards. He shot him with a youth model .243 and he dropped him in his tracks. It was a great heart shot, but man I have never seen a .243 do that... As a long time bow hunter, I have only shot two deer with a rifle. It was the coolest thing ever to be there for his first deer. I told him I was there for #1, and wanted to be there for many more.... he smiled and said "deal". He is 9 and was almost as excited as I was....haha... what a great feeling to start a life long tradition! Now to get my daughter to put one in the freezer and this year will be complete!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 AM

Congratulations to you and your son.... Do you have a pic to share with us. I hope so, that way you can enter him and his deer in the
Bucks for Buck/Dough for a Doe 2009/2010 Deer Season contest... Bucks for Buck/Dough for a Doe 2009/2010 Deer Season <-Click for rules
Good Luck !!!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
B&C 100 Class

Awesome KS. My Daughter has a couple in the freezer and thinks she it the pro now
Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

congrats to all the hunting families!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
ronn

congrats all