First Hunts with my kids - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
the bottom line is this, If a person shoots a "legal" Deer That's All that should matter.
Nobody should be concerned with whether a Buck OR Doe is a
Mature or Immature Deer so long as it's harvested within the legal means of that States Laws.
but is that being a good steward of the wildlife? again, just cause you can doesn't mean you should?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
but is that being a good steward of the wildlife? again, just cause you can doesn't mean you should?
Absolutely! Youth hunters who practice Safe, Ethical hunting is all we should strive for.
We "Hunters" are nothing more than the tools used to manage the wildlife, The experts at the federal and state levels guide what and when we can hunt and Up till now they've done very well,,, especially seeing as how the Whitetail deer population here in North America is at it's highest levels ever.
Somebody's doing something right.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
ronn

i disagree. it isn't necessarily being a good steward.

example, in nh they are trying to build the population of deer. thats why the very limited doe season, 2 days where i live, less in other areas and only on the sea cost where the habitat is shrinking do we have more than a couple, days 7 there i think. we only have that cause to many people would just not hunt, and a loss of revenue. so is filling your tag with a doe being a good steward? no its not. now can i understand why someone would fill their tag with a doe? heck yea i don't hold it against them for doing so but only because it is legal. so this is a case where shooting a immature buck is better than shooting a doe, again each state is different.

i don't care what anyone says "if its brown its down" is wrong, it will always be wrong, and i will never say its the right thing to do. its understandable, but its wrong and wrong headed. it says one has no regard for the wildlife and the future of hunting. it says i'm gettin mine no mater what it is. its selfish. that's the mentality that drove the numbers of deer in this country so low. shoot'um all, thats tradition to the inth. it took laws to try and put a halt to this and have people wake up and realize that more care and thought should be given to hunting, as hunters.

anyway sorry the thread got hi-jacked enjoy the hunt
Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 PM

The thread wasn't hijacked this is the issue the poster was concerned with.
I don't believe anyone but you Ronn has referred to the Brown is down mentality. We're talking about taking Legal Deer, be it Bucks or Does we're not talking about shooting anything that walks BUT if it happens to walk in front of a Licensed Hunter who can Legally tag it, why should they let you decide what they can shoot rather then let their tags decide what they can shoot.
Ronn I totally understand your position and I get just as frustrated here in Vermont as you do in NH,,, and I'd love to be able to call the shots based on what I observe in the woods but each state has experts that determine Where, When & What gets hunted.
I only hunt small portions of Vermont Our state officials are just about BEGGING hunters to shoot more Does a lot of hunters refuse to cooperate in taking Does because they're stuck on their own theories of management.
So now with Vermont being over-run by Does is it wrong for Vermonters to harvest them? No.
You and I ronn may never see ideal hunting in our states EVEN IF by some miracle NH or Vt. became perfectly balanced in a year or 2,,, You and I both know it only takes one Severe winter to get it right back to the way it was. It's not only the hunter harvest that affects the hunting in our region, sometimes It's a compilation of a bunch of things. We can't always blame hunters who harvest Immature bucks or Does for the issues Vt. and NH have to deal with.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
ronn

good. glad the post didn't get hi-jacked. You are right, try as we might to get the perfect herd here in nh, vt, me, is for not if we get a bad winter. I didn't say i wanted to decide if someone else should take a legal deer or not. I'm saying some thought into why that deer, and because its standing there isn't a good reason. its his/her first deer is a good reason or it may be my only opportunity, or i need to be at work so i got to get something into the freezer. there are tons that could apply. I would like every hunter to think carefully about; first, the animal as a group (management), second, the effects on hunting as a life style, or whatever you want to call it, sport but i don't really care for that term, and then themselves as an individual hunter. It comes down to shooting the right deer, be it a doe or a buck, be it 10 does, the first legal deer or whatever.

passing deer here in nh and in vt is a very hard thing to do. last year i passed on 4 deer with the bow but ended up taking an immature buck one that i had passed earlier. why? time was running out and if i remember right that was the last deer i saw until late bow season. it comes back to another post i posted. I think more thought needs to be put into hunting by hunters so that we are not thought of as just murderous neanderthals just blood hungry by those that don't understand hunting. and shooting any legal deer is the definition of if its brown its down. if its an illegal deer that another can of worms.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Scrub Buck

That is 100% what I am saying, thank you
Old 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by weewilly View Post
That is 100% what I am saying, thank you
can you clarify please. what is 110% thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Scrub Buck

I was commenting on what brucebruce1959 had posted. I believe that we all ,or perhaps some of us have shot many smaller deer in the past to either put some experience under our belts or to feed our families. The only one we answer to is ourselves,so get out of it what you need or want .Its one thing to preach , but the proof is in the pudding.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
ronn

thanks. I wasn't preaching just putting out food for thought. I've shot little deer, button bucks, nice bucks, and does. only one was a "i didn't mean to take that deer".

Believe me I know how hard it is to take any deer in nh not to mention a big ole buck. even with the "preaching" i'm a "if you are happy with the deer you shot, and you must be you shot it, i'm happy for you". The first legal deer would be down for me if I hadn't taken a couple in pa. I know not everyone can go to where there are lots of deer. now, i will pass a doe with the bow and it would have to be a good buck for me to take it with the rifle but only cause i got some in the freezer. if it were empty thats another story. really i'm trying to beat anyone up. if its a legal deer and you are happy, i'm happy. its the bigger picture i guess i see now, after 40 years deer hunting, rather than years ago, and my goals, i'm sure, are different than the next guy's. the four stages isn't something i made up, its a know fact after looking at the goals of long time hunters all over the country. I'm not perfect and things don't always go the way i would like. most times i settle with what i given when it comes to deer hunting, but i strive to do better, be better, learn more, and do whats best. by bringing up shoot the right deer for the right reason i hope that it gets others to thinking about why they shoot what they shoot, regardless of what it is. does that make any sense?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 PM

Sheesh... I leave for what, an hour?? And then all the action starts!!

What im getting out of this is "if its legal and you want to shoot it then shoot it."

And the only difference im getting out of ronn's is "if its legal and your gonna shoot it then have a good reason to shoot it." Have some kind of thought process (reason) in your head on why you took this particular deer. Dont go in the woods blasting away. Take a legal deer but dont kill it just to kill it.

Am I correct?