bedding areas - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Scrub Buck

Default bedding areas

The hunting season here in NW Florida has a two week break before it comes back in. During this break, I wanted to do some more scouting and I am looking for any tips on finding/recognizing bedding areas without totally messing them up. Of course, I will adhere to all the scent elimination and walking slow rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
B&C 140 Class

Check out topo maps and overhead imaging of the area. Most of the time you can pick out the travel corridors and likely bedding areas from them. Then you can go check it out in person if you want.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 AM
B&C 100 Class

I hunt North Florida and am not sure what break your talking about. The quota periods are over and there is hunting till the 17th of Jan I thought. I find that raccoon urine in these parts is the best cover scent for your boots since coons are everywhere and climb trees like us. A morning shower and clean clothes helps of course but IMO if a deer gets downwind of you, scentblocker or not your busted. I like doing my scouting in the afternoon between 12 and 1 oclock, unless it was a clear sky and full moon inwhich their movement might be active at these times so i resist. I also have found that a white thread about 14 inches tied to my barrel is an excellent wind checker. You can watch the weather for the main direction but living on a peninsula, it can get squirrely and I like to know at a glance where my scent is going. I start out with tracks crossing a road and follow them to an edge or thicket. I especially like to find rubs that work in a line towards the thick stuff. On that edge is where I like to be. Transition areas between small pine and large, oak ridges and creekbottoms etc. I have yet to see a deer in a field in 25 years of hunting during the day but know that they will have staging areas near it that are good setup spots as they filter that way just before dark. TV is full of nice bucks in a field during shooting hours, that is not reality in Florida and I wonder why our deer are so smart to know that?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 AM
B&C 100 Class

Ok I see your in the NW zone of Florida. Im in the central zone so dates are different.