I got no deer this time - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default I got no deer this time

Good day to everyone. I hunted over the opening weekend and did not see any deer. On the opening day there was a party of 6 men who most likely drived the deer to the South (I was to the West from it) - so I heard shots early during the day and they were gone by midday. On the second day, I sit on a small ridge (maybe a few meters above the land) where two funnels were connecting. I guess deer just has not return to that stretch of forest after the opening day drive. I heard 4-5 separate series of shots from SW (there's a private land) in the last half an hour. I guess the local farmer probably baited the site and deer moved to feed there when sun was down. Well, apparently my time has not come yet. There will be another season and I learned a couple of valuable lessons this time. One is to scout more - would I have a better idea of the land, I'd probably could move to a better spot once I know there's a hunting party. Another lesson, I'd better hunt closer to my home. Spending 7 hours driving (3.5 there and 3.5 back) and also hunting for 12 hours is plain dangerous. Not mentioning the fact that it's easier to scout when it's closer to home.

When you're successful, you're not learning because one's able to learn only from mistakes. I'll correct mine before the next season (luckily we will have one more opportunity early in December).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

you hunt in the farm country of Wisconsin and saw no deer I know the numbers are dow this year but in the southern part of the state you should at least be seeing them. I hunt up by Lake Superior and it is expected to not see many deer.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
B&C 140 Class

I still have yet to see a deer. They just don't seem to be moving.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

It's not exactly farm county. Maybe not the deep northern woods, but nonetheless.

Google Maps

I was sitting to the west (where the path across the spring is funneled) from the triangle patch of forest. And the next day I was on the forest Southern point (where it comes down to nothing). Well, actually I was 30 feet to the west of it.

As I said, a group of hunters worked the triangle patch really well during the opening day, so I should probably go deeper down to the south where we get slightly higher ground (in hope that there will be acorns and hopeing that enough deer would survive the opening day there).

Ah, hindsight is always perfect :(
Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
ronn

you're right sometimes you learn more from mistakes or "failures" for lack of a better word cause its not really a failure. sounds like you also have to "hunt the hunters". use them to your advantage. it takes time to figure different wood lots out. good catch on your part.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

if there is any corn still standing anywhere near you that is where the deer will be. It is also to warm out there and the deer are moving less.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Its supposed to be colder this weekend, I hope the deer start moving.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

they say snow on turkey day
Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 AM
B&C 100 Class

Unfortunately, I am out for the Thanksgiving (including to the weekend) to drive to Texas and back to see my wife's best friend family. I think there will be a lot of fun, but I am missing most part of the hunting season in WI

Well, we have to do sacrifices to our darlings to keep things running smooth in the family.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Scrub Buck

Default I hear ya!

HAHA. I just joined this site in anticipation of my hunt in PA on Monday. I currently live in California...moved away from the family after college and am very eager to get back out in the woods with my Dad. It's been a couple years. But I feel for ya...and at the same time know exactly what you mean...you gotta keep the lady happy!!!!!