Deer Hunting Forums banner

deer strategy??

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Body Bag 
#1 ·
OK, this is likely a dumb questuin but we're a little frustrated and I know you folks are a pretty kind group. Where I hunted Saturday the "funnel" which the deer were moving in the a.m. (generally from SE to NW) was a wooded valley about 250 yards wide....saw 4 bucks (all across the valley) but could not get a clear shot. My 13 yr old son and I were showered, clothes washed (in scent free soap), very quiet and camoflaged. That being said, it was like they knew something was different and just steered clear. Another factor, the wind kept changing. If I hung a pair of human scented pants (use your imagination) on one side of the valley do you think the deer would veer away or just turn around and go back?

G
#3 ·
patience is a virtue. sometimes things just don't work out. the switching wind may of had something to do with it but i think they would turn and go back to where they know they were safe. herding them works as deer drives but i don't think thats the way you are hunting.

#5 ·
It's like when someone's walking up behind you, sometimes we have that 6th sense that let's us know they are there,
I think deer are the same way at times....

#7 ·
i agree with all above. the wind is your worst enemy or your best friend in your case i would go with worst enemy. depending on how high your stand is your scent what is left of it might not be fully dissapating yet. also you can try using a cover scent on your boots because just what is on your boots is a major thing around here they mayonly smell the human odor from the truck or house on your boots and you can try one of those buck bombs to really cover you scent in those low areas remember what ever you do if scent is an issue then try and keep with what is native to your area whether it is **** urine or just a cheap deer urine to spray on your boot bottoms and around lower pant legs. good luck

#8 ·
They are just a little skittish in south AR too. If anything is different they are headed out. I saw my family of deer at the end of my shooting lane. The nubbin and his sister ran toward me playing in the lane. When they got 50 yards away they turned and headed back with the tail up. They may have stayed or came back but is was on a leanto stand (in the rain...wet...ready to go...) and I wasn't taking any chances so I popped a momma.

If the babies are that skittish how do you think the mature bucks are going to act.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.