gettin ready - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
B&C 160 Class

NH is not a fun place to hunt. i feel your pain ron. i have hunted the area we scouted twice, found another nasty scrap, but still havent even seen one deer. i wana move south so i can shoot 6 bucks a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 PM
ronn

work that trail back and find the thick stuff. he may not be out till after dark so the tighter you get to the thick related to that trail the better the odds of seeing him during shooting light. good luck
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM

ronn, I think each of us in PA went 4 days without seeing anything, thats the first time ever. The weather is too warm, heck I still have roses blooming here at home. Hope your luck changes. My freezer is empty so I need something. That area you hunt looks like a lot of woods to figure out. Do you get many rub/scrape lines to set up on? We're going to have a lot of guys hunting a small area next week so I think I'll be walking in a mile or so.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:22 PM
ronn

found a secondary gut running from the mian gut i'm on. did an end around to check out that secondary gut. yea its a trail from the top but it runs right down by my stands. there was no other deer activity up high on this trail. i did however hear a deer take off with that thump thump thump sound........50 yards from my stands. wind switched on me. there is one place i will put a stand and thats up on the breakline 100 yards up from the stands, if i can find a tree. old cut with that little beech trees growing in it. right on the up hill corner of the hardwood stand i'm on the lower corner of. i'll do that thursday and sit it saturday.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 PM
ronn

hm that hemlock center of the pic is where that buck, the busted up one, got his pic taken on a scrape. this guy.

there is a rub and big scrape line running through the break in a stone wall in the back of the pic but you can't see 30 feet in there. its too thick, that said i did hang a bow stand just on the other side in the thick.

just as a point of interest i'm up about 27 ft in the tree when i took the pic of the woods with my cell. i hope i get a decent little camera for my birthday or Christmas or something.

Last edited by ronn; 11-24-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
ronn

saw 11 does this morning. first does all year. thats the good news. the bad news had to leave for family stuff and the worse news is a couple yahoos shot the busted buck in the pic this morning off posted property. still a pretty good morning and i know there are still a couple shooters in there.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:33 AM
ronn

just sent my pic to my friend that saw the dead buck. "he's definitely NOT the same deer. that guy is a pig" so good news but i just let the cat out of the bag
Old 11-26-2009, 12:32 PM

I'd like to see a big bodied buck like that next week. Good you are seeing does. My buddy in Michigan called they did ok, shot 3 bucks. Overall the UP of Michigan they hunt was way down on buck kills. Some camps reported seeing nothing. Seems like I've heard that before.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:34 PM
ronn

i hope you do as well.

moved a stand in a GOOD bow area, not bad for the rifle either. there was a scrape in this thick stuff along with lots of acorns and tracks all over like a few deer were feeding around. the first four does i saw were headed there.

saturday, working tomorrow, will be an all day sit and sunday as well. can't believe how bummed i was when he, my buddy, told me it only had half a rack and how much my spirits were lifted when he said definitely not the same buck, he's a pretty good judge and i trust his opinion. he did say the dead one had nothing on the right and this one does have a stump and a brow.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 PM
ronn

talked to my buddy again and asked him %wise how sure was he that the deer that was take today wasn't the same deer in the pic and he said %100. that will give me the hope in order to sit all day both days this weekend. unfortunately I'm working tomorrow but they are calling for a pretty good rain which I hate hunting in so that works out.