Is it harder to get a buck or doe? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Is it harder to get a buck or doe?

It seems like getting a buck is harder, but during the rut they are horny and want to breed so it seems as though they would be careless. Which is harder to bag and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

Bucks are harder. Does run in family lines and there patterns don't change as much. I have the same family on my corn pretty much everyday. Two mommas (was 3) and 2 baby does and a button.

Bucks don't run together much (rarely ever around the rut) So you don't have as many opportunities. Thats my opinion anyways
Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Bucks by far. The ones over a year and a half old anyway. Even though they go a little nuts during the rut you are only talking about a small portion of your hunting season where they act a little crazy. And they can still bust you in a nano second.

Now if i was to compare a 1 1/2 year old buck to a 1 1/2 year old doe I would have to say from my experiences the bucks seem to be a little more careless than the does. I dunno why this is unless the does tend to hang out with mama more and learn to be more cautious at an earlier age.

Thoughts from the experts on this thought please?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:01 PM

I believe a pure tophy buck is by far the single most difficult animal to take bar none. That being said for me a mature doe would be the smartest/hardest followed by the bucks then yearlings. Archery hunting the rut and hunting buck travel routes doesn't bring me into a lot of doe encounters, I save that for rifle/flintlock freezer hunting.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:12 PM
ronn

there are 2 good times, or your best bet in getting, a buck. early season while they are still in their bachelor group and on the food, September and early October and when the rut is in. they loose their minds in the rut. they run all day long to find does ready to breed. they are harder mainly because most states are running about 10 to 1 buck to doe ratio. this is also one of the reasons calling and rattling as well as scents are only sometimes effective, cause they got the real thing.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 AM
B&C 100 Class

Buck or doe? It really depends on the age of the deer. The older they get the harder it is to get them in the freezer. With age comes wisdom, and they learn from our mistakes too. Anything over 2 1/2 yrs has seen it's share of us! Of course it is easier to shoot a mature doe, only because there are more of them, the big boys got that way for a reason! Good luck with the hunt.