inturptating scrapes - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 AM
B&C 160 Class

ya there were some tracks. ill give the a mesure today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
NH one day that will change, that's the day he just walks into your life. You will be ruined after that. LOL
im still a young hunter who needs to hone my hunting skills before going after the big boys. im gona be workin on that with ronn. then i will want to go for the big boys.

Last edited by hunt NH; 11-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
ronn

thats a good start huntnh figuring out that mature deer aren't like the young ones. sometimes think the old ones aren't even deer but some creature that has eyes like a spider crossed with a Hubble telescope, a lateral line like a fish to pick the slightest silent movement, a photographic memory, and the nose of 10 elephants. oh and did i mention the crystal ball to be able to tell what you are going to do next? well, they got them too.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
NH one day that will change, that's the day he just walks into your life. You will be ruined after that. LOL

I dropped a 10 last year. First good deer I have killed. The 6 points don't look near as good now.

Goal for this year is the two for........ Hope to shoot two does back to back in the same lane. Not buck hunting until I have 3 does or a better buck than last year walks out.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Scrapes can be made and then turn cold if the rut is delayed or goes cold. Also, different bucks will use common scrapes. This past week three bucks came to one of the natural scrapes we were hunting over. I think young bucks kinda know what to do but its a little fuzzy yet for them so they half attempt to scrape then move on and do this many times. When a mature bucks does his thing its for real and you can tell by the size of the scrape that you've found the real Mccoy. I like scrapes that are three feet around and have a lot of debris throwned behind. Another thing, I've noticed that mature bucks will break off a much bigger overhead branch than a lower grade buck will. So I like to have a really big scrape and a big broken branch overhead and most likely you will have a nice rub line to add to the mix. You need a lot of patience when scrape hunting coupled with low buck numbers as it might take several days for you to see him and evaluate his size. Personally for me rut hunting is the best hunting there is.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM
B&C 160 Class

ok so going off the assumption that im after a young buck. i think what im going to do is stop rattalin compleatly. if he is young he more than likeley is not intersted in fighting another buck for a doe. im probably not going to do much if any grunting, same reason pluss i dont know how good i am at it any way. im going to stick to useing doe in heat sents and oe bleats. we will have to see how this works out for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:22 PM

HuntNH, really you may get a younger buck to respond to light rattling because they are looking to see just how big they are and I think they enjoy a bit of sparring. A light rattleing every 30-40 minutes and the doe in heat scent should get the attention of a young buck. I really don't know about the doe bleat thing, no experience on that. As the rut picks up the estrus scent should improve your odds especially hung over a natural scrape. My son uses the grunt call to stop and turn a buck thats out maybe 60-80 yds. Happy hunting to you.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 PM
ronn

i used a grunt and snort wheeze to literally bring back the buck in my pic thingy under profile.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote