Offseason work on my land. Would like your thoughts - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Offseason work on my land. Would like your thoughts

Ok guys so I'm pretty sure im going to be doing a lot of off-season work on my land. Planting food plots making paths in and out etc.. I had the day off and couldnt hunt so i did the next best thing watch hunting shows and made a few plans. I would like yalls advice on what i go as this is my first food plot that i will be creating. The Land I own is 30 acres so its not that much, but its all i have to work with.

-]The White squares are where I have put stands out now. Places them based on the tracks and other deer signs that are out there.
-The Light blue squares are were i would like to put stands in the future or ground blinds. those are the other areas i have seen signs of deer.
-The Dark green areas would be winter plots such as winter wheats winter rye etc..
-the yellow would be summer plots clover alfalfa etc..
there are some water sources near by theres a pond on the property to the right and theres a creek that runs through the wooded area of my property. Indicated by the blue line.
-The white lines are were id like to make a grassy path/trail for easier acess to the stands.
Ive also thought about clearing out some of the wooded area and making a nice little clearing back in there and laying some plots.

So what do yall think? Like ive said this would be my first food plot and have only recently began hunting on a regular basis. But i absolutly love it and want to turn my little area into a place that will be productive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
ronn

I like the effort you are putting in. have you thought about strip plots? what is the hnting pressure like around you? could you build a sanctuary for the deer from the other properties? this would kinda increase the land you are working with and therefore more deer. not sure where franklin ohio is but ohio is on my list. big bucks there.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Scrub Buck

Well my lands in preble county its west of dayton. I don't know much about the hunting pressure around my grandmother just gave me permission to set up plots n hunt on her land. This is first year I've been out on this land and have seen ton of tracks some scrapes and nice sized rubs. And this will b my first food plot so was lookin to get advice b4 I sink $ n2 this
Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
ronn

check out the threads under food plots, if you haven't already. i think soil prep is the biggest key and as huntingman will tell you thats still no guarantee.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote