Am I on the right track - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Am I on the right track

Well I've been starring at this photo for a long time and I'm still having a tuff time trying to figure out where to place a stand. This is only one small area of this wildlife management area. Since I live in Ca. I have not seen this area at all. I know Ronn said to find the food sources first and work in from there. From what I can see there are no farm land around so I'm guessing that finding some open areas adjacent some heavy cover would be a good place to look for a stand location. Opening day is on Saturday and your not allowed to hunt on Sundays so we plan on checking this area out on Sunday. I've included the link to the are so anyone can pan out and let me know if you see anything better. Thanks in advance for any info.
Jim
Google Maps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Scrub Buck

Set forth below are my thoughts with regard to stand placement. Spot 1 & 2 look good for evening hunts. The rest are in the morning. Of course, this depends upon favorable wind direction. Heck, I might think of even setting up on the low ridge to the northeast of the fields and leading down to the swampy area. I like spot 2 for the evening the best. Any of the morning spots look promising. I chose these spots after viewing the topography on Google Earth so I could see where the high and low spots were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Virginia1.jpg (136.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Professor Nono; 10-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

Professor Nono,
First I want to thank you very much for taking the time to look over this map for me. I'm very grateful. I want to learn how to read an area and the advice you've given me is of great help. As I look at the map I think I see your reasoning for the stand placements and the time to hunt them. The morning stands are placed there to catch them coming off of the fields where they were feeding at night and heading back to heavy cover. You placed the night time stands in an area where they would be caught coming back into the field to feed. You don't know how much this helps me. When I first started coyote hunting I had no idea how to call and where to set up. After going out with guys who new what they were doing I quickly learned and now I'm successful in killing yotes. I will mark these areas and will be sure to hunt them and I will let you know how it went.
Jim
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 AM
B&C 100 Class

One more question. After looking at the areas for the morning hunt I'm guessing that the best route to those areas would be to come in from the north east and sneek in?

Jim
Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Scrub Buck

That's what I was thinking. Park on the road and go straight across until you find your place. I think that since this is a new place to you, if you go in when its dark, you might want to have a really good idea of the precise direction from the parking area to your position. Thus a compass and a known distance from the parking area would be useful. I aint to hot on gps because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Trouble especially in the mountains. I couldn't really see how to effectively get to the spots from across the creek but there may be a bridge and a trail. Good luck! I can't claim to be an expert but those places just make sense given the logice that you set forth.