Deer Hunting Forums banner

Rut signals

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  rebel_pulling 
#1 ·
Hello fellow hunters. I know we are getting close and each region is a bit different, but I haven't seen bucks tending to any does yet here in Illinois. I was out all day this past Sunday and all the does were flying solo or with other does. I thought it would be good to get a thread going to determine what we are seeing in the woods and fields around our great country. I realize it is still a hair early, but there is no hunting quite like hitting the peak of the rut. Bucks get single minded and a lot less careful:thumbup:.

Good luck everyone!

#4 ·
For rut hunting I try to time my hunt to catch some pre-rut where the does will actually nudge the low grade bucks around some and then in two days its the reverse. Its fun to watch and most times we see more bucks than does. My prime time is mornings 7:15 to 9:30 or so, and if its a misty morning all the better. If its been cool and suddenly the temp goes up the rut can shut off, and if its been warm and a cold front comes in stay in your stand because things start happening. I wish the prime leaf color would co-inside with the rut but most leaves are already down in PA. Bow hunting the rut is #1 for me, flintlock late season comes in a close second! I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable hunting season and successful one too. HM

#5 ·
We are still a few weeks later than ya'll northern boys down here in the south. Generally speaking the chase will start heating up around the later half of Nov. In 1 of my hunting spots. In my lease that is very close to the AL line it doesnt start to heat up till last couple weeks of Dec.

#6 ·
ohio rut

was out last night here in east central ohio and saw 5 different bucks, one big boy! the bucks are harrassing the does but the does want nothing to do with them yet. it's starting to get underway here and i'm gonna get out every chance i get! watched the big buck for about 20 mins never got into range but great hunt and literally can't wait to get back out!!!!!

#8 ·
I have a couple different reports that there has been some mild buck fighting going on. It looks like it is getting close here. Probably around mid November in western Tn. Which is the right around when gun season opens here.

#9 ·
Haven't seen much action in East TN, but in West TN there are massive amounts of scraps and rubs everywhere. Most of the young bucks have been pushing the does a little bit since the start of Oct. I go to West TN to hunt Nov 13 for Muzzleloader and I expect the rut to be in full swing then

G
#10 ·
the rut, if you believe the whole moon thing and i do, falls right around the hunters moon. hence the name. the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, i think thats how it goes. studies and books have been written on this. why some see more and sooner activity is due to the numbers of deer. the more deer the earlier and more the sign appears. thats why west tn sees the "rut" sooner than east tn. higher deer densities in the west. so in short i believe the rut is when the rut is suppose to be based on the moon, the pre-rut, scrape making, agressive rubbing, and chasing, is seen at different times due to deer densities. just makes sence to me so i choose to believe.

#12 ·
I also believe in the rutting moon. Charles Alsheimer (deer & der hunting magazine) and Wayne Laroche (Commissioner of Vermont F&W ) studied deer rutting behaviors and concluded that you could determine rutting activities by the moon phases.

I have always found their theory to be the most accurate indicator of the rutting activities.

Based on what they concluded this year (2009) these are the dates the
North woods hunters should be focusing on...

the seeking phase will be best between Oct. 28th & Nov. 3rd.
the Chasing phase will be best between Nov. 3rd & Nov. 9th
the Tending phase will be best between Nov. 11th & Nov. 17th

Ya'll Southern hunters should focus on the following dates.

the seeking phase will be best between Nov. 28th & Dec. 4th
the Chasing phase will be best between Dec. 4th & Dec. 1oth
the Tending phase will be best between Dec. 11th & Dec. 17th

Good Luck to everyone this 2009 hunting season,, Enjoy & Be Safe!!!

G
#13 · (Edited)
yea that charles oldtimers guy has done allot of work on the subject and seems to be the go to guy whenever anyone is writing a book on the subject. the moon is why we say the rut is late this year, cause of the second full moon being later after the equinox. sometimes there is a blue moon in october that really messes with the rut stretching it out and causing a more pronounced second rut. interesting reads whether you believe it or not. oh and the rut is triggered by the does, not the bucks. (ain't it always the way?) the pre rut stuff is all about the boys being boys.

#14 ·
Although I'd like to have time to see it unfold for myself in the woods I use. trail cameras over food areas, and believe it or not dead deer on roadways. Right now in Carlton County, MN I have bigger bucks following does more casually, you could sa,y but nosing the ground and air. They are checking for the first does. Also dead deer, in my area the freeway becomes a gauntlet for the deer and vehicles. does being pushed by bucks and bucks chasing does. right now just a few this week it has been amping up. Every commute I check the "gauge".

#16 ·
I don't know what the heck is going on here. Not seeing much of anything in terms of buck running, just does now. However, the mechanic at work arrowed a great 10 pt this past weekend chasing does behind his house in grape fields and he was walking in a row of grapes coming out to the edge. I'm not sure if he has internet but I will ask to see if he can get on here to post some pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.