Rut signals - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Rut signals

Hello fellow hunters. I know we are getting close and each region is a bit different, but I haven't seen bucks tending to any does yet here in Illinois. I was out all day this past Sunday and all the does were flying solo or with other does. I thought it would be good to get a thread going to determine what we are seeing in the woods and fields around our great country. I realize it is still a hair early, but there is no hunting quite like hitting the peak of the rut. Bucks get single minded and a lot less careful.

Good luck everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

I agree, thats why I time my bow hunt for PA prime rut days. I haven't been out here in Ohio so I can't comment on the mid west activity, but Nov 5th -12th I'd be in my stand if hunting mid west bucks.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Scrub Buck

I'll be back out on Saturday and see what's going on, but I think you are right and in about another week or so things should heat up.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

For rut hunting I try to time my hunt to catch some pre-rut where the does will actually nudge the low grade bucks around some and then in two days its the reverse. Its fun to watch and most times we see more bucks than does. My prime time is mornings 7:15 to 9:30 or so, and if its a misty morning all the better. If its been cool and suddenly the temp goes up the rut can shut off, and if its been warm and a cold front comes in stay in your stand because things start happening. I wish the prime leaf color would co-inside with the rut but most leaves are already down in PA. Bow hunting the rut is #1 for me, flintlock late season comes in a close second! I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable hunting season and successful one too. HM
Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 AM

We are still a few weeks later than ya'll northern boys down here in the south. Generally speaking the chase will start heating up around the later half of Nov. In 1 of my hunting spots. In my lease that is very close to the AL line it doesnt start to heat up till last couple weeks of Dec.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default ohio rut

was out last night here in east central ohio and saw 5 different bucks, one big boy! the bucks are harrassing the does but the does want nothing to do with them yet. it's starting to get underway here and i'm gonna get out every chance i get! watched the big buck for about 20 mins never got into range but great hunt and literally can't wait to get back out!!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Scrub Buck

Deputy Dog, I'll be back home in Ohio for gun season. Harrison and Tuscarawas county have never let me down.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Scrub Buck

I have a couple different reports that there has been some mild buck fighting going on. It looks like it is getting close here. Probably around mid November in western Tn. Which is the right around when gun season opens here.

Nobody has ever gotten anything big done by being timid.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
B&C 100 Class

Haven't seen much action in East TN, but in West TN there are massive amounts of scraps and rubs everywhere. Most of the young bucks have been pushing the does a little bit since the start of Oct. I go to West TN to hunt Nov 13 for Muzzleloader and I expect the rut to be in full swing then
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 PM
ronn

the rut, if you believe the whole moon thing and i do, falls right around the hunters moon. hence the name. the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, i think thats how it goes. studies and books have been written on this. why some see more and sooner activity is due to the numbers of deer. the more deer the earlier and more the sign appears. thats why west tn sees the "rut" sooner than east tn. higher deer densities in the west. so in short i believe the rut is when the rut is suppose to be based on the moon, the pre-rut, scrape making, agressive rubbing, and chasing, is seen at different times due to deer densities. just makes sence to me so i choose to believe.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote