scouting for deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Default scouting for deer

I am new at deer hunting and im wondering where to look when scouting for deer. I hunt in the nc mountains. Also where should i place a stand. We do not have food plots but we have secluded fields, a large field and hardwoods, and conifers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Welcome to the site Austin, if you look through many of the past posts regarding scouting you will find a wealth of information on the subject. I'm sure some of our NC members can help you on specific questions for your area.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Hey Austin and welcome to DHC.com. I'm not familiar with NC at all but if you are in hilly terrain it would be fairly esay to spot a deer trail along a hill due to the wear and tear on the ground.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 PM
ronn

here something to get you started. you are not scouting for deer. you scout for deer sign. not being a wise guy but you are better off looking for the sign. trails, scrapes, and rubs from last year and years past.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

Whats up Austin welcome to the site, and welcome to the world of deer hunting. Since your new I would like to tell you that deer hunting is awesome experience !!! You will never stop learning about hunting, and nature and if your religous ( I am ) it's a chance to see god through his creations... that being said I'm an avid hunter from North Carolina and although I'm not the least bit experienced with the mountains I can tell you a few things... first of all its still fairly early in the season so figure out what the deer in your hunting land are eating... are there any trees that bare fruit ?? Theres got to be acorns I would imagine with no food plots your deer are eating stuff in those hardwoods... hardwoods are awesome I love hunting in that kind of landscape... also if your allowed to bait deer on your land I would put a whole bunch of corn out close to a deer path and hang a stand near it...now really the next thing to do is get out in your land and just look around the basic signs of deer I'm sure you know just spend some time now looking for it... look for older scrapes on trees and opening in thickets you know an opening that looks like a door in the middle of thick stuff... look for trails... try to actually figure out how the deer are moving they usually make a circle around your land however the move the tract they travel will be a constant... but the times they travel there tract will definitely differ... my dad has hunted the mountains alot when he went to school @ Gardner Webb if you would like me to I can ask him if theres anything specific about the mountains that would be helpful... just hit me back and let me know sry for writing a book !!!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 AM
B&C 180 Class

i hunt hardwoods all the time,a good place to look is "edges".this is where two different types of cover meet,hardwoods -field,hardwoods-conifers,woods-stream,etcdeer love these edges because the sun creates small plants for them to eat .if you find acorns you will find deer,get a topographic map of your area and study it or better yet post it here and we will show ya some potential spots to look at.after this years season is over hike the place and become very familiar with it,where are the ridge lines the funnel the bench' on the ridges etc,again do this after the season so ya dont spook the deer now,also the deer trails will stand out more after a season of use.tthe great thing about hunting is you are always learning and finding something out about the woods .So lace up them boots tight and get outside and have some fun
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 AM
B&C 100 Class

i would find out the deer paths a put it in a interstion of a copule