parasites and disease? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

Exclamation parasites and disease?

Is there any real fear of shooting deer in the early bow season because of parasites and disease from the summer. i have heard a few folks talk about this and wasnt real sure so i figured i woul dask the pro's. (BB and HM) Hopefully you guys can help me clear this up a little. cause it opens next weekend and i dont wanna jump the gun.
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've been hunting deer for about 50 years and never heard of anyone not hunting the early part of the season because of parasites found in the deer at that time or, more importantly, anyone getting sick because their venison was killed early in the season. On the other hand, I don't claim to be a wildlife biologist. I suppose there is some risk factor in eating any wild game (just like there is eating any domestic meat that is processed by "professionals"). I believe pretty strongly that any parasite that is present in the beginning of the season will surely be present throughout the whole season. If it'll make you feel more confident, I'd suggest that you contact your sate wildlife folks and ask them about any health risks that you might need to consider before eating the deer in your state.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Unless the deer show unusual behavoir proir to the shot or any unusual things in the chest cavity or gut pile then other than get the hide off asap for quick cool down maybe ice it down if you can't get to a refridgerator quickly, protect from flies, and proper cooking I can't think of any other precautions that I would take.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:50 PM

I have no fear of early season issues with the meat. I just move alot quicker when the deer is down due to the fact of warmer temps.

I, like onehorse have never heard of people getting sick due to early season deer parasites, diseases. As long as your cooking the meat thourghly I believe anything that did exist prior to cooking would no longer effect you.

I cook my deer like I would pork. Completely done.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 AM
B&C 100 Class

cool beans guys i wasnt sure so i figured id have to ask the pro's and once again you havent failed me i gotta a uck still in velvet good looking 8 or 10 saw him about 100-150 yds away one day but havent got him on camera he will probably be the only shot i take in the real early season if he walks by
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Old 10-03-2009, 01:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

My dad just retired from Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency this past year. I don not EVER remember anything about deer not being able to be killed in the early season for meat. Even in my classes at UT talking about wildlife management and hunting, my professors have not mentioned anything about parasites present at early season times.

Things to consider: Early season normally means high temperatures. Keep you kill as cool as possible and get it processed as quickly as you can. Kills left on the back of ATV's or in the bed of trucks for extended periods of time, can lead to the meat turning and causing unpleasant problems if you eat it.

CWD (chronic wastings disease) is a similar to Mad Cow disease but as long as the meat is cooked to a certain internal temperature, there is suppose to be no real risk to humans. However, I personally would do all my research if I hunted in areas prone to CWD. Luckily in TN there haven't been any big confirmed cases

EHD (Epizootic Hemmorhagic Disease) killed off many deer in TN in the past year or two. This disease happens every year to a number of deer but kind of like the common cold for us, deer can get overcome the disease if conditions are right. However, in the past few years it has been extremely dry so conditions have been harsh on the deer. A report came out from TWRA saying the disease should not effect the consumption of the meat. Personally if I shot a deer and, upon closer inspection, found that it looked unhealthy (fur was poor quality, sores on body, etc) I would not consume it. It may not be fatal to do so with EHD or CWD but then again you may spend a little extra time in the bathroom.

Once again, I am not an expert but I have been around wildlife managers all my life and currently enrolled in wildlife program at UT and have never heard any mention of this
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

the deer should be fine but depending on where you live YOU can get bit by ticks that carry lyme,rocky mt ,spotted fever,etc.also some mosiquitoes can carry west nile,and other disease but you can take measures to protect yourself,happy hunting
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 AM
ronn

the only thing i ever remember hearing on the subject i think was related to brain worm that infects moose but uses deer as a host. something to do with the deer liver being whitish or having white blotches don't eat the liver but the rest is fine if cooked properly. I don't eat liver either way so I didn't pay it allot of mind.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote