wireless trail camera - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default wireless trail camera

Has anyone used the trail camera that sends the pictures right to your computor? It sounds perfect, but way to expensive for me. The one thing I hate about trail cameras is going in and out of your hunting area. That's why I have been reluctant to use them, but I think I'll finally get one soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM
ronn

yea they look great but like you said waaaaay too much $$ to buy and maintain.

right now i use 7 cameras and have another on the way. Your first thought about being in and out was the same i had. But what i found is, I know the woods i hunt so stomping around isn't necessary to find out what and how many are in there, using the camera. I set it on a known trail and check it once a week during the off season. during the season I check the close ones every time I'm in there. If I'm seeing activity I'll hunt there, if not I go to where the activity is good. This i learn from the cameras. the method I use has allowed me to pass on smaller deer because I know what is in the woods. Like last year there were 6 bucks and 6 does in this one piece. 2 of the does were shooters and there was a big 9, along with a smaller 8, a couple basket 7ishs, 2 forks, and a spike. this info you can't get from tracks and would require hours upon hours of time in the woods to learn. Woodsman ship is still the most important thing in order to kill a deer. cameras are just eyes in the woods when you aren't there. it tells you times of movement, directions, count and sexes. great tools. and i would recommend the covert II check them out on line.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Never used it but I've seen the advertisement for it. I cant remember what it was called, I think Buckeye Smart Scouter or something like that.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:05 PM
ronn

ok thats 7 bucks but the small 8 wasn't using the same trail as the others, about 200 hunderd yards away, but it was the same woods.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 AM
B&C 100 Class

I think Moultrie came out with a model this year to compete with the Buckeye cam. Lower in price, but I have not read any reviews on it yet.

I love to check my cams. I do it once a week, mid day to try to minimize the disturbance, and shower, clean clothes, rubber boots etc just as I would while actually hunting. What I learn from week to week/month to month from the cams is priceless to me. And it gets me back on a regular basis during the offseason to where I want to be anyway.

http://picasaweb.google.com/michiganbowbender
Old 09-04-2009, 06:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ron and guys, one of the things that keeps me from getting a trail camera is I wonder about them getting stolen if they're being used on public land. Anyone have any info on this?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
B&C 160 Class

I would worry about them on public land.....
Old 09-06-2009, 12:21 PM
ronn

it seems in areas that see allot of traffic they come up missing. but i have never had a problem....knock on wood. wal-mart has got then for $50. not wireless or ir but simple flash. a friend of mine says it works good but i haven't seen any of the pics and its still new. time will tell.