wheat or alfalfa - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Smile wheat or alfalfa

I live in Texas and I feed corn and protein year round. I have been appoaced by a farmer that wants to sell me rolled alfalfe or rolled wheat, I have a question to someone that might know more about this type feed. Which is better the rolled alfalfa or the rolled wheat. Thanks for the input, let me know something fellow hunters!!Rudy
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

I don't know alot except animals can eat only a certain amount of wheat or it causes problems. But I doubt a deer would eat more than 8% of its daily diet in wheat anyway. But it is a consideration. Never heard of rolled alfalfa. Rolling grain basiclly is just smashing it flat. alfalfa isn't a grain it is a leafy plant.

guppy11
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 AM
B&C 140 Class

If you are talking about round hay bales of alfalfa or wheat I doubt either would go over too well, but of the two alfalfa would likely be better in the early season...wheat later. My experience with these is that deer love to eat both of these crops as they are in the field, but rarely will tap into a hay bale of the same content. I have hunted on several cattle farms and used to check around the bales to see if they were eating on them...they don't.

John Eitzen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode