Ahhhh no deer - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
B&C 160 Class

With limited be woods big corn is where they like to hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
B&C 120 Class

that makes since even though ive never seen them around the corn usually the woodline on the far north of the corn
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

You could try stalking the corn. I have had very good luck with this during gun season. I don't know if the corn will be up long enough for you to try that. Wait for a breezy day so the corn field is already noisy. Just walk across the field looking down every row for a bedded deer. If you see one, scope him out to see if it's a shooter. If he is, back off 3 or 4 rows, slowly move down to shooting range and then slowly move back over into it's row. Once you go across the field, move down as far as your sight distance was and then come back the other way. I only do it during gun season because usually during bow season the corn is still too green and the rows too clustered for shooting. But it's not hard to get within 15 yards of a bedded deer.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
B&C 120 Class

good theory i may try it sounds like a lot of walking and time that youd need. better pack light
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

it can be a lot of wlking but around here the corn fields usually aren't all that big. If you do have a large field, don't stalk the whole thing, you'l be there all season. Concentrate on the 100 yards around the perimeter or along some structure if it's in farther such as a ditch or cluster of trees. Like anything, you will get better and learn as you get more experience. Snow is a great help. Not only does it help to see down the rows better, but you can circle the field first and check for fresh tracks. If you don't find any, then move on or go watch football.l
Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 AM
B&C 160 Class

Bad idea. It falls in the category of it is end of season lets see just how many miles can we push these deer out of here. Save that kind of stuff for end of season cowboy hunting.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

It depends on if you want to do it right and go slow and only on breezy days so the rustling of the corn covers your noise. All the deer I have seen have been laying down and if I decide I'm not going to shoot it, I back off. I have't been busted yet. I know I could have spooked a couple without knowing it, but everyone gets busted once in a while, regardless of how your hunting. Also, as I said, the corn fields I hunt are small, 25 acres or less, so I'm not putting in that many miles. With that said, it's not my primary way of hunting, just something I do sometimes in late season when the deer aren't moving during shooting hours. They really get hunted hard around here so sometimes you have to go get them instead of waiting for them to come to you.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:41 PM
ronn

there is a technique of slowly moving across the corn rows peeking in the next row looking for bedded deer but its got to be windy to create noise. don't think it would work well with a bow. the downside of doing this with a gun is what is the back stop? only tried it once put there isn't much corn here and way to much woods. kinda felt like i was putting my life in danger.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Using corn and minerals this time of year will not draw them in or hold any deer. What we use is somthing that is different and/or new to them that is not already available. Try somthing like the liquid ground attractants or deer cocaine we have had tremendous luck with products like these.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugslinger View Post
Using corn and minerals this time of year will not draw them in or hold any deer. What we use is somthing that is different and/or new to them that is not already available. Try somthing like the liquid ground attractants or deer cocaine we have had tremendous luck with products like these.
You have to make sure those type of products are legal to use in your area, products like deer'caine are illegal here in Vermont and many other states...