how do you hunt? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default how do you hunt?

how do you hunt?

tree stand?

still hunt?

deer drives?

please post why you prefer one method over the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Living in Montana, I use several styles. In the open (pairie) terrain, I like to use spot-and-stalk. This is especially productive in antelope hunting, but works for mule deer and even white-tail once in a while. I use still hunting (which is really NOT still, but moving slowly) and also stand hunting a lot when in heavy cover, depending on the hunting conditions. If the ground is noisy with crunchy snow or leaves, I might just stay put, but if there's quiet footing, I'll be moving which I'll also do if it's windy. The deer can't hear as well and are less likely to move when it's windy, so you have to go to them.
The ten pointer that's in my avatar was killed last year in thick cover with very quiet footing (about 4 inches of snow). For that one I used a combination of still and stand hunting. The buck responded to a series of doe bleats and buck grunt calls about 10 minutes after I decided to stop moving and try some calling. It was less than 50 yards out and still coming straight at me when I shot him.

Last edited by onehorse; 07-28-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

Where I live it is really open so most hunting is spot and stalk. Although in creek bottoms(which never have water in them,they must be left over from the great flood) stand hunting is most effective as still hunting is next to impossible. When I hunt in central Kansas it stand hunting in the am and pm, trying to catch deer moving, and drives during midday which have been the most productive of all methods.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM
B&C 160 Class

i tend to do alot of still hunting. and genrelay take one or two steps every 5 minits or so. in your opinion is this moving to fast or slow or just about right.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Primarily tree stand hunt.. 90% of the time I am in thick wooded areas. Its easier for me to stay longer and be still in a comfy stand stuck up a tree. Plus you have increased vision over hunting off the ground while your in the woods..

Still hunting I do not have the patience for. I move to much to quick. If we had snow I would probably give still hunting a try a little more often. I am always in a leaf covered area.

I will hunt off the ground on the edges of fields at times. These are usually evening hunts or mornings that I got to the woods to late to go trekking through the woods. I usually hunt pretty high up the mountain and have to start my climb a good bit (1hr)before daylight. The lease that I hunt the landowner does not allow 4 wheelers in his woods. So we have to walk up from the fields below.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM
ronn

I use to still hunt allot but since doing mainly stand hunting I see way more deer to the point of passing the small ones.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
B&C 100 Class

i do both see and stalk and in tree
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 PM

I used to do the slow walk thing, not slow enough to be called still hunting though but was never really productive and then switched to stand hunts just for more relaxation and absorbing the wild. I love stand hunting because you could watch animals without them even knowing you are there. I never did a deer drive and never will because it is just too unsafe for me.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 AM
B&C 100 Class

I have never participated in a deer drive either(although my cousin runs dogs with much sucess). I just started hunting last year and I either stand hunt(90% of the time) or I just walk through a wooded area behind the house and prop up on a tree and pick one or two off that are always hanging around in a corn field. I have even hunted off of a fold out ladder before. As I have stated in the past, what I do can hardly be called hunting because there are just so many deer around the house! I usually hit the stand just 45 mins before dark.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 AM

I think I rely mainly on what feels best to me that day depending on wind direction and weather conditions, But I do all except Deer drives I agree with Timberghost I'll never pardticipate in a deer drive because I think they're too dangerous also.

You left out Tracking, Tracking is another method I like to resort to when the conditions are right.