how do you hunt? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
B&C 120 Class

I mainly stand hunt myself, but have been known to do some still hunting as well depending on the conditions. Noisy,windy etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
B&C 160 Class

I like to hunt off a ladder stand the most, just so i can see around, and feel i am in a good spot...Then i like the surprise of hunting on the ground, i just use a low backpackable cover around me and lean back on a tree
Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

I mostly hunt from a box blind stand that I built myself I got one thats 4x4 an 10ft tall an another that is 5x5 an 12ft tall, I also have two climbing stands an a store bought ladder stand an three ladder stands I built. I also make my own brush ground blinds on fields. An use spot an stalk in large fields an power lines. We once an awhile do deer drives that is a fast an exciting way to hunt but I perfer the calm peaceful solitude of stand hunting.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

where i hunt is not heavily wooded. trees are small patches or an over grown homestead. This being said the drives are safe as you can see the other hunters. Its like hunting pheasants.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
B&C 120 Class

Hunting Method: 20 ft treestands.

Reason: My success rate has increased dramatically over still hunting. Put your time in scouting and set up stands downwind of doe bedding areas. Catch them sneaking in early AM and out late afternoon. Come Nov the does will bring some company. It's better to let the deer come to you but requires long periods of downtime...bring a book.

Exception: Good tracking snow, moderate rain or high winds will keep me on the ground and provide good conditions to still hunt into or cross wind. I tend to stay in the shadows and out of wide open areas where your movement is easily picked up by wary eyes.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 AM
B&C 140 Class

I hunt from self climbers as high as the canopy will allow up to 35 Feet. I choose this because of scent and surprise. I don't like still hunting because it leaves too much impact on my areas here in Maryland (Heavy Hunting Pressure). I also seldom hunt the same area or tree twice within a 2-3 week period if at all possible. The last thing I want is the deer to become alarmed or to be able to pattern my movements. In my experience hunting mature bucks if you don't get him first time in your chance of success dramatically decreases each day after so I keep them guessing.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

Here in west Michigan I almost always stand hunt. I get going too fast when I try to still hunt. I did get 2 does last year still hunting but that was because it was a small area (10 acres), there was deep snow and I knew they were bedding in there so my confidence was up. 2 bucks I shot were stand hunting. I do have good luck stalking corn fields during gun season if I can find any still standing.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
B&C 140 Class

Can someone please explain still hunting to me? I gather that you just walk around (slowly) looking for deer??? How the heck does this work? I hunt only from stands and still get spotted sometimes. Or is there something I am missing about still hunting?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

Stalking here in Indiana is to noisy and with the hills and ravines it is not ideal to stalk. I hunt out of tree stands most of the time and I somtimes sit in a blind overlooking a creek bed.