Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   New Guy Needs Gun And Scope Advice (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/4042-new-guy-needs-gun-scope-advice.html)

Slickhead Stalker RN 07-17-2009 03:17 AM

New Guy Needs Gun And Scope Advice

I just started hunting October 08 and just joined the site this month(which I love). I live in the farmlands of NC so there are deer staring me in the face everytime I turn around. I have been shooting my friend's remington 700 30.06 and have had pretty good results. I dropped nine last season. Well I have two questions.

I was wondering if anyone has heard any good words about the new remington 700 xhr 30.06 or any 30.06 that is worth researching? It is in my price range and I definately want a 30.06. I always still hunt from a stand or a ladder(yes a ladder LOL) and never take shots past 300 yards.

Second, the gun that I have been borrowing has a 3x9x40 scope on it, which seems to be the standard from what I have read online. I am interested in getting the mueller 4x16x50 red dot reticular scope. Is this too much magnification for hunting white tail or could this help me further my range out past 300 yards when hunting on the farm?

Any help with either of these two questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

BruceBruce1959 07-17-2009 06:54 AM

Greetings from Vermont and Welcome to the deer hunters club.
I'm not hands-on familiar with the 700 XHR So I can't comment much on that particular rifle but Remington has a Rock Solid reputation when it comes to manufacturing rifles that focus on Quality, Accuracy and Durability not to mention affordability..
You have to go inot your preferred gun shop and feel the 700 XHR in your own hands don't be afraid to shoulder it to see if it fits you and then if you're comfortable with it,, I would say Go For It, I'm a big Ruger fan but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Remington Rifle.

As far as the scope purchase goes many people will suggest you buy the most scope you can afford,
I would say if you've been using a 3-9x40 successfully then why would you feel the need to change it?
but to answer your question, yes,, the 4-16x50 will increase your viewing range. Good Luck and I hope this helps you out some.

Id0ntlikeyou 07-17-2009 10:47 AM

Ok hold on a second. 9!?!? You can legally take 9 deer in one season? Holy #$^$%!

Slickhead Stalker RN 07-17-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 29210)
Greetings from Vermont and Welcome to the deer hunters club.
I'm not hands-on familiar with the 700 XHR So I can't comment much on that particular rifle but Remington has a Rock Solid reputation when it comes to manufacturing rifles that focus on Quality, Accuracy and Durability not to mention affordability..
You have to go inot your preferred gun shop and feel the 700 XHR in your own hands don't be afraid to shoulder it to see if it fits you and then if you're comfortable with it,, I would say Go For It, I'm a big Ruger fan but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Remington Rifle.

As far as the scope purchase goes many people will suggest you buy the most scope you can afford,
I would say if you've been using a 3-9x40 successfully then why would you feel the need to change it?
but to answer your question, yes,, the 4-16x50 will increase your viewing range. Good Luck and I hope this helps you out some.

Thanks so much for your input. I guess the reason I want to upgrade to a higher magnification scope would be the fact that I always still hunt from a stand and I have never shot a deer out past 300 yards. Other than that, I guess you are right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks again for your advice. I will definately have to shoulder that xhr before I purchase it.

Slickhead Stalker RN 07-17-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Id0ntlikeyou (Post 29213)
Ok hold on a second. 9!?!? You can legally take 9 deer in one season? Holy #$^$%!

Hello. Yeah I actually took nine does last season. I don't shoot bucks because I hunt for the meat and have no interest in getting one mounted for the house. I live in NC and last year there was no limit on doe. This is a good thing since there are so many around here that my girlfriend hit one with her car just two months ago. Once I finally got my breathing under control and learned how to shoot, which took a little while, I have been having pretty good results. Often I will just shoot them off of the front porch or I'll just pop up out of a corn field on a fold out ladder and suprise them like ol elmer fudd. Actually, I would hardly call what I do hunting. It is alot more like picking. LOL

Hunting Man 07-17-2009 06:59 PM

Probably need to shoot 9 just to get a meal off those deer. Just kidding there! I agree that Remington is a great gun for the money, I have a few myself and owned several others over the years. Remington makes quality firearms period. 30-06 is still a good choise and topped with a 3X9X40 would cover everything, but maybe grizzly. Are there better choises out there today maybe. Never rule out the great 270 win. The 280 rem is near perfect and for your neck of the woods a 260 rem(140 gr and a lot less kick) or a 7mm-08, 25-06. I am one who belives in putting quality on top so look for what you can afford in quality glass. I'm an old Redfield man but now use Leupold scopes. Good luck shoping and leave a few deer for your buddies.:w00t:

onehorse 07-17-2009 07:17 PM

Even though they gave you slightly different answers, I agree with both Hunting Man and Bruce. The 30/06 just can't be beat, and having owned MANY Remington rifles over the last 40+ years, I can attest to their dollar-for-dollar quality. The last rifle I bought was a Tikka T3 Lite (270 WSM), and it's the most accurate rifle I've ever had - but doesn't beat the Remingtons by much. The 3x9 seems right for most hunting conditions. I can crank that up when I'm antelope hunting in open terrain and take an animal at 300+ yards, or turn it down when in thick cover and kill a nice buck, like I did last year, at under 50. As for scopes, I'm a big Leupold fan. They are made in the USA, stand behind their product and are just about as good as a scope can be, unless you have some big bucks for something like a Swarovsky. Good luck, and welcome from Montana!

timberghost 07-17-2009 09:28 PM

Welcome aboard buddy. I have a Rem 710 30.06 with a basic Bushnell scope 3 9 40 on it and it has been a great hunting rifle for me. Very accurate but the scope isn't much for great shooting distance for me anyways.

Slickhead Stalker RN 07-17-2009 10:51 PM

I really do appreciate you guys responding so quickly to my original thread. I guess the reason I am pretty much dead set on a 30.06 is because of the affordable bullet prices, bullet options, and availability. I usually make shots right behind the shoulder, but if I don't, they have never run off too far when hit with my friend's 30.06. I have had no problems with the recoil or flinching and it just feels like a good fit for me, although this is the only rifle I have ever shot(besides a .22).

My cousin shoots a .270 and he swears by it. He has been hunting since he was 8 and I just started at age 29. He told me that his gun shoots flatter than a 30.06 and has a little less knock down power, but he also said that the bullets were around 36 bucks for a box. I guess you usually go with what you know. He grew up on a .270 and to him it just feels right. I have no prior experience what so ever and no problem with the recoil so I am gonna stick with what I know.....the 30.06. Maybe if I have children one day, I will start them out with a rifle that has a little less kick.

Thanks again guys for the warm welcomes and solid advice.

onehorse 07-18-2009 07:28 AM

Comparing a 30/06 to a .270 is like comparing a sweet potato to a yam - there just isn't that much appreciable difference. The 30/06 is almost as flat-shooting as the .270, and any animal hit in the same place with a .270 as with the 30/06 will be just as dead just as fast. I've had both and killed deer with both. Your point about bullet cost and availablity is right on the mark. As far as that goes, the 30/06 IS the best choice. Stick with what you know, what your experience tells you and you won't go wrong, won't be dissappointed and won't second guess yourself - that spells confidence and that will make you a better hunter.