Hog hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 AM

Default Hog hunting

I am going Boar hunting we have a large private park in my area that has Elk deer Russian boar & other game animals a few pigs get out every year but last year I have heard that they lost over 50 pigs about a month ago we saw about 30 crossing a main road & the other day people were spotting them a couple miles from my house I guess my question is how do you guys hunt them now like I said there is not a large number of them YET they are starting to breed in the wild though
I am thinking baiting would be best but what to use other then just dumping corn on the ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Scrub Buck

We all know how hogs and pigs root up the earth. I'm sure you have seen this. If you see it, then that means the hogs are in the area. I have always tried to catch hogs in the evening. Watch for a couple of days and see what times they cross the road and which way they are headed. You will probably notice they go a certain way every night. I know the hogs where I hunt cross a certain road about 1 hour before sunset from the east headed west. Just have to figure that out. Hogs aren't to hard to hunt, at least not here in Florida.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 AM

Do you bait them?
What do you use?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Scrub Buck

I never have baited them. I'm sure it is possible, but don't have any personal experience with that issue. The only way I have heard about baiting them is straight up wrong, and will not even post it. Sorry I can't help you on this issue.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM

In my opinion, even if the baiting is considered wrong by others, if it is LEGAL in the place you are in then bait 'em.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Scrub Buck

I agree that baiting animals i alright to do, as it is legal. However, some of the guys I have talked to said pouring motor oil on the ground close to a dug up spot is the best way to bait them. Pretty sure that wouldn't be legal ANYWHERE in our great country!!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Scrub Buck

Ok, let's talk about good ways of baiting hogs. Just so that I have a disclaimer, I want to say that my above post does NOT represent my opinion of good hunting and is NOT what I do! Having said that, I did some research on baiting hogs. The following is from a Texas Parks and Wildlife website:

Corn or milo, often soaked in water and allowed to sour and then buried underground is good bait.

I read another website that said In-Heat Scents work good. But remember, if you are planning to eat this pig, you don't necessarily want to go for the biggest pig you see. A medium sized female pig will taste better than a huge male pig. Something to keep in mind.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

Ive always used slightly rotted vegatables like carrots, cabbage, or lettuce. Seems to attract them fairly often for me.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 AM

Thanks guy's & I am not one to usually bait for anything but these critters destroy everything in their path we do not have free roaming pigs here in NH these got out of a preserve the state want's nothing to do with them & neither do most people I have talked to Problem is believed that enough of them have broke out that they are populating outside the park & I know of only a couple people that hunt them I just want to help keep them from spreading So I feel this is an exception to my belief in baiting like I said this is not a state regulated animal these are true huge Russian boar from what I have seen & read Texas & Corbin park in NH are the only two places in the country that have them So don't think I am an unethical hunter

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 07-17-2009 at 05:45 AM.