New guy looking for info and help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Scrub Buck

Default New guy looking for info and help

I am new at hunting. Last season was my first time, and I didn't get a deer. Which that is fine, because I had no clue what I was doing. I want this year to be different though. Right now I am in Iraq, with nothing better to do than research deer. I have learned a lot about their habits and am much better informed than last year. Is there anything you have experienced you would like to share? Please do. I live and hunt in Central Florida, if that has any bearing. Thanks in advance for any advice or info you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 AM
B&C 140 Class

Welcome from Montana,
First of all, since you are in Iraq, I can speak for everyone here, and say we are all with you in spirit, we thank you for your sacrifice and wish the the very best. As for help with deer hunting, there is lots of help here for you. This is a pretty big subject and answering specific questions usually works best. As for a general suggestion, I would say be mindful of your scent as this will negatively effect your hunt more and faster than anything else. Get out early and stay late. When you move, move slower than you think you should (I'm assuming that you hunt thick cover here.)
Best regards.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Greetings from Vermont Sean and welcome to the deer hunters club, and a personal Thank You for seving our country we here at the "DHC" totally support our troops.
I'm sure you learned about cover and concealment in the military, well in the hunting world it's pretty much the same thing the ultimate challenge during a hunt is to do your absolute best to DE-SCENT yourself, your equipment and your clothing,,, don't underestimate a Deers ability to Smell you or your equipment, Secondly you need to become almost robotic like with your movements,. a deers eyes catch everything that moves in the woods you need to spot them before they spot you and if they do spot you your slightest move will send them running off.

my advice for you is to scout, scout, scout, and scout some more try to learn where the deer in your hunting area are eating and sleeping, there's always trails to and from those areas, even when your scouting, try to do your best to scent down we can't emphasize enough how important scent control is.
Lastly stay alerted to the wind direction, the more you can keep the wind in your face the better off you'll be, if the wind is blowing in your face it's blowing your scent in areas you've been and not into the area your hoping the deer will be. I hope my tips help you, if you can think of any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck and Thanks again to you and those serving with you...

Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
ronn

as stated above thank you and all your brothers and sisters for your service.

the deers nose is its number one defence. they can pick up scent 100's of yards away. and can almost pin point its location. as well as learning deer habits in general, learn the habits of the deer in your hunting woods, scouting as Bruce said. good hunting
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Right on fellas. Sean again thank you for serving for this wonderful country and stay safe and get home soon and welcome to DHC.com
Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for your support everyone. It is pretty chill out here these days though. Definitelt not the same as my first deployment over here in 2004. Anyway, thanks for your advice as well. If I wash all clothes and fabrics in a scent free detergent, air dry them outside, spray all equipment with a scent free spray, and use a cover scent on my boots when walking, would that be sufficient? Or is there more to it than that? Also, what kind of areas to deer normally sleep and what is a telltale sign that an area may be a bed for a deer? I have a spot in my mind, from my scouting from last year, but I need to be able to locate a possible sleeping spot for the deer in the area so that I know to setup my stand away from their normal trail. It may not be popular, but I plan on hunting on some bait this year, to try and learn as much as I can. Once I learn the habits of the deer, the bait will no longer be used.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM

The further steps in De-scenting include bath soap, Shampoo, Anti perspirant/deodorant, Dryer sheets even foot powder...
I suggest wildlife Research Center Products.
If you plan on using bait for hunting make sure you check what the Regulations are in your state, many state Do NOT allow baiting for wildlife.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM

I would suggest that you hunt the trails to and from food supplies and bedding areas and stay out of the actual bedding areas. This requires a lot of hunting savy and could result in scaring the bucks out of your area. When you've gained additional hunting knowledge/expertise you can move in to the core areas. Hunting is very much like a good chess game, pre think your moves and your success will improve.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I would suggest that you hunt the trails to and from food supplies and bedding areas and stay out of the actual bedding areas. This requires a lot of hunting savy and could result in scaring the bucks out of your area. When you've gained additional hunting knowledge/expertise you can move in to the core areas. Hunting is very much like a good chess game, pre think your moves and your success will improve.
thats good advice. start at the food and work inwards slowly and carefully over several seasons.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
B&C 100 Class

Welcome from Wild Wonderful West by God Virginia. Thanks to you and other soldiers we still have the freedom and opportunity to do this thing we enjoy called hunting. You can't help, but pick up lots of great tips from some of the most skilled and experienced hunters on this site. Although you can refine some basic shooting skills on the range you need to spend time afield to really acquire the saavy and knowledge of the Whitetail. Trying to figure out Whitetails is like trying to figure out... well sometimes they really throw you off. I know you hail from FLA, but when you return home I'd be proud to you share what I can should you find yourself in WV or Ohio, one old soldier to another. HooRahhh!!!
God Bless, Be Safe and keep a low profile.