Home protection question - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM

Onehorse, this is what I am thinking. I too have many servicable firearms for this particular subject, however, when I'm doing home projects the correct tool for the job always seem to work best. When a sledge hammer is needed a 2lb ballpeen just doesn't cut it. I have a 45 and 357 loaded with in reach of the bed, and just the firing of them should deter 99% of unenvitees, but what if that didn't or I couldn't hit what I aimed at because of the dark or just missed. A short barreled 12 ga with 0000 buck will not miss if you intend to end the intrusion. Several manufactures have noticed the market for such a weapon. Here just east of Toledo isn't too bad for high crime, but it will spread as the economy tanks and I thought what would be the (best) home defense weapon/tool for the job? I'm still undecided but am leaning twords one of the new styled home defense 12 ga semi-auto's. This gun would only have one purpose but maybe the most important one of all! I already have the 0000 in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM

I get what your saying Onehorse.. 41 mag will do fine to stop one in his tracks.. I have yet been able to justify the expense of a 40 cal handgun so Im still using my turkey gun/12 gauge pump for my home defense weapon.. Not the greatest for close range combat but hopefully I catch them earlier than when their right next to my bed..
Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 AM
B&C 140 Class

I agree Chuck. My 12 guage will work just fine laying under the edge of the bed. I just wanted a hangun I bought a .40 caliber. The only other hangun I have is a .22 . On the road tho the shotgun wouldn't be as handy. I agree tho that for "home" defense one of the hunting weapons would work fine. But that brings up the question "Can a man have too many guns?"