Home protection question - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

studies were done and your right the racking of a 12 scares the bejesus out of the bad guys
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 PM

bb, it was a stainless judge version.There wasn't much in the shotgun home defense models. All gun prices seemed about 30% higher.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
ronn

i've heard from lots of folks that the shows aren't a really great place to buy.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 AM

Ronn, in the years past I've been able to buy/sell fairly reasonable. This time prices were really high so I need to find another source. Right now its a sellers market.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
ronn

fact, sellers market
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Not sure I'd be using .410 shells for home defensive. Ammo is expensive and underpowered for humans (in general). I guess it could work with .45 Long Colt, but .45ACP works just as well. Home defensive shotguns usually aren't worth the money if that's the kind of gun you want, any 18" or shorter barrel will work, and honestly, who needs 7 shells in a 12 gauge for the house? Maybe if you wanted to turn a person into some sort of minced meat.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have several long arms, rifles and shotguns and one handgun. I use these for hunting mostly and target shooting. Can't quite understand people feeling the need to buy a home defense gun. Maybe it's because of where I live - not too much crime, if you need help, people give it. And when driving down a road, you can expect the driver who is approaching from the opposite direction will give a way as you pass each other. I feel pretty safe with the firearms that I have, but I don't really believe I'll ever need to defend my home from (????), and I certainly don't need to buy a specialized defense weapon for that. You guys who feel threatened and unsafe have my sympathy.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Chuck, I hope you never have to worry about it. In my end of the state we have loads of crack heads, meth heads and bunches of illegal aliens that want to live the mexican way, not the american dream. And I live in a rural area. 3 weeks ago the local newspaper had an article that said Mayfield, (the small town I live in, pop 11,000) was the hub of drug trafficing in western KY. Doesn't say much for the local police department. But, I'm not afraid, just cautious. I just purchased a handgun for home defense and when on the road. Hope I never have to use it except for plinkin at the creek.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM

We live in a pretty safe part of the country as well but I still want to be ready if some nut trys to break in my house.. As of yet I have only been in 1 house that was burglarized and that was by a neighbor "friend" that we had grown up with our whole life..
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
B&C 140 Class

I don't want to sound too naive. I know this kind of thing can happen anywhere. I guess my point is why spend the extra money on a gun you may never use when you probably already have several that can be employed if the occasion arises. In my case, the .41 magnum in my nightstand is usually carried when I'm hiking or horse riding in grizzly country, but I'm sure it would work just fine in the event that anyone tried to break in. I don't think I need a specialized "defense" or tactical weapon for that. Just my opinion.