Baiting - Page 8 - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 790
My true point was that with little effort one can become an even more successful hunter with a few days leg work. When you take in account going to the feed store and time spent placing bait in your desired spot you could scout and locate a half dozen more productive locations on your property. By locating natural travel areas and staging areas I believe you can and will harvest more deer because these areas the deer will consistantly use weather or not bait is present. In the long run a hunter will come out way ahead in harvest as well as knowledge. It is a win win situation all around. Also by having multiple locations you will not over hunt or over educate your deer. Staying mobile is the key to changing phases of deer behavior through out their fall cycle and seasonal changes in habitat. I feel that all hunters would find harvesting deer on their terms more fullfilling as well as building pride within themselves as a hunter. Just an oppinion but worth the thought.
wmi is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
B&C 140 Class
 
Southern Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West KY
Posts: 591
WMI and Ronn both preached this to me a year ago. And they were both on the money. In results as well as satisfaction.

We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
Southern Man is offline  
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
B&C 160 Class
 
Buckshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
My true point was that with little effort one can become an even more successful hunter with a few days leg work. When you take in account going to the feed store and time spent placing bait in your desired spot you could scout and locate a half dozen more productive locations on your property. By locating natural travel areas and staging areas I believe you can and will harvest more deer because these areas the deer will consistantly use weather or not bait is present. In the long run a hunter will come out way ahead in harvest as well as knowledge. It is a win win situation all around. Also by having multiple locations you will not over hunt or over educate your deer. Staying mobile is the key to changing phases of deer behavior through out their fall cycle and seasonal changes in habitat. I feel that all hunters would find harvesting deer on their terms more fullfilling as well as building pride within themselves as a hunter. Just an oppinion but worth the thought.
I couldn't agree more.
Buckshot is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
WMI and Ronn both preached this to me a year ago. And they were both on the money. In results as well as satisfaction.
Praise you brother Southern Man. Amen! LOL
wmi is offline  
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
B&C 140 Class
 
on_the_fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: breck co. KY
Posts: 773
I like feeding corn mixed with bird feed and acorn pellets. I mostly feed because of deer health, I belive I am helping the deer among other animals keep a nutrishise diet year round. Here in KY we can not feed/bait from March to May so I just unhook the battery untill June. I have never harvested any animal within 20 yards from any feeder and usualy try and stay back 100 to 150 yards back off feeders.
on_the_fly is offline  
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
I tend to think it's OK if you find and hunt over a natural food source, but I don't intentionally plant food as bait.
rcdan001 is offline  
post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Hunters need to stick together and suppot each other's ways of hunting. If its legal its ok.
davidw is offline  
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM
B&C 140 Class
 
onehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 798
I agree with, at least, some of what everyone has said so far as there are good points both ways. Of course, if it's not legal in your state, that's it. But I do think there is a difference between baiting for actual shooting and hunting near or on route to a natural feeding area or agricultural area. It's that when you're hunting a bait you have defined the situation to suit your goals (it's a "set up" from the word "go"), whereas in the other situations, you still have to "scout" things out and work with what you find. A slight difference, I admit, but enough to make me disinterested in baiting.
onehorse is offline  
post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5
I think it really all depends on what you are looking to get out of hunting, and how much you rely on hunting too. If you happen to be Mr. Poor Man with a wife and seven kids, I'm sure most of us will over look the fact he uses a bag of corn and soybeans where it is legal. Then again, many of us here hunt deer for pure sport usually. I mean the meat is nice, but most of us can afford beef or pork at the supermarket. Baiting just to brag you got a deer that year is a no-no in my book. if you actually rely on getting one or two deer a year for the food valve purely, then baiting (where legal) is just fine to me.
KeoC is offline  
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
B&C 180 Class
 
joel the signman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeoC View Post
I think it really all depends on what you are looking to get out of hunting, and how much you rely on hunting too. If you happen to be Mr. Poor Man with a wife and seven kids, I'm sure most of us will over look the fact he uses a bag of corn and soybeans where it is legal. Then again, many of us here hunt deer for pure sport usually. I mean the meat is nice, but most of us can afford beef or pork at the supermarket. Baiting just to brag you got a deer that year is a no-no in my book. if you actually rely on getting one or two deer a year for the food valve purely, then baiting (where legal) is just fine to me.
if your that broke save the 50-100 bucks in bait and buy food

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
joel the signman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome