Baiting - Page 7 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Scrub Buck

Default baiting is going to be debated by many forever!!

I think that you have to feel like what you are doing is an ethical thing. I know some hunters that do not believe in baiting. I also know that some prefer to bait because they do not have the time to go out in the field to learn all the animals habits due to jobs and family. I don't feel like this makes them bad. I personally do not bait. I also enjoy the challenge of the hunt. Harvesting an animal is not a must for me. Many people bait for all kinds of reasons. If you put cheese on a mouse trap are you bad for baiting? It's all in the way you see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

I disagree bigboytwo. People do UNethical things and FEEL like they aren't doing anthing wrong. I believe there is a line between ethical and unethical regardless who you are and where you are from. Baiting is one of those things that is hard to nail down because it is not "legally wrong" universally. It could be argued that shooting does with a rifle is "ethically" wrong as opposed to shooting them with a bow. It's too easy. Ronn would disagree (I hope!) due to the fact it's hard to find deer in NH where he's from. But here in KY you can wack em till the cows come home and tomorrow too. But...can you argue it is ethical to shoot a deer in your headlights at nite? No way, it's wrong. We have people here that do that. That doesn't make them ethical. If that were the case then that would give the peta people validity. God help us on that one......No offense intended. Just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have a thought. HOW can you be a good caretaker of the sport of hunting when you don't know how to HUNT but just bait? How can you be ethical and stand with your head high when all you really want to do is find a short cut to success? There are many people in the world looking to achieve success. You have doer's and dreamers. There are no short cuts to success much the same as there are no short cuts to becoming a good hunter. Most of us have jobs, families and responsibilities. HMMMMM?
Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

I think I need to add on. If you take the time such as right now during the off season to spend even just a few days walking your lands finding trails, looking for sheds, locating oaks or other brows type plants come next season your game will be 10 times more successful. The key is every time you find sign or a trail you did not know was there ask yourself why. Each time seek the answer, take notes, connect the dots. Keep in mind that a deer does not do a single thing without a reason. As the picture develops in your mind you will begin to see even more of that of which has been over looked. I can't tell you when but at some point the light will come on in your mind and the hunter in you will come out. You will see far more deer than ever before and even be able to predict changes in patterns as phases of deer fall cycles occur. The really cool thing is not only will your success go through the roof but your sightings of mature bucks will dramatically increase. Finding sheds now will clue you in on core areas that these animals call home. This will become most evident with your full freezer and large BONES ON THE WALL! Besides it will save you money for more new camo, bows and guns instead of corn.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

Well spoken WMI.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 PM
B&C 180 Class

Spot on WMI
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
ronn

excellent point wmi
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM

wmi, really good post! This subject has brought out a lot of good thoughts.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Scrub Buck

Default good one for wmi

I really like the way wmi put it in his perspective. Lot of good info from all who replied.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
I have a thought. HOW can you be a good caretaker of the sport of hunting when you don't know how to HUNT but just bait? How can you be ethical and stand with your head high when all you really want to do is find a short cut to success? There are many people in the world looking to achieve success. You have doer's and dreamers. There are no short cuts to success much the same as there are no short cuts to becoming a good hunter. Most of us have jobs, families and responsibilities. HMMMMM?
Just a thought.
While I agree with the gist of what you are saying wmi I disagree with your idea of ethical hunting. I have said it before on this web site and I will say it again. Just because someone else does something we may never do or something we don't agree with does not make it unethical. If a hunter legaly harvest game in his state how they do it is of no concern to me. I believe we as hunters do ourselves and other hunters a great dis-service when we call another hunters actions unethical when you have no standing to do so except your personal opinion about what it is they did.

You and me would never hunt over a pile of corn but if someone else can do it legaly then I don't think it is anyones business but that hunters. All we do is ad fodder to the anti-hunting groups when we call them unethical. You can not have an unethical act without a previously agreed ethical standard to go by. Your or my opinion does not make it unethical it is only our opinion.