Baiting - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

On the bating issue. I did bait alot when I was younger. I never had much land to hunt so I needed an edge. Apples brought in alot of deer. I have shot numerous 6-8pts. and a ton of does over a nice apple pile. I also had all the time in the world to haul out the bait. But as I got older I think I have gotten wiser and I don't have much time to hunt. When I have a morning or afternoon to hunt I turn into a freak. Everything has to to scent proof, weather and wind just right . I now try to set up on heavier used game trails where I have game cameras, and play the wind. I might have a hot stand with alot of pix but if I don't think I have the right conditions I will try to stay away until I do. I liked what wmi said about the challenge. Tyrying to outsmart "OLD MOSSY HORNS" in his home turf is the greatest challenge. Patience is one of the keys to hunting. Learning a buck's tendencies and then using that knowledge to score on him is a great accomplishment. Of course I am still learning and that is what make's me look forward to next fall.
Also, Michigan has found 1 doe in a private farm with CWD so the DNR has banned all baiting in the state. I personally have heard of people still baiting and realize that they will continue to do so. I have no control over that.
I would wish that people in Michigan would hold off on baitng for awhile until the DNR gets this resolved. If it is resolved, I have no problem with people baiting if that is the way they choose to hunt. To one's own preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
ronn

ktl i think thats his antler trap.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Shed baiter, gotcha.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 AM
B&C 160 Class

The pipe comes a blue green color,,,the camo is for my veiwing pleasure...
The fence is to hook a loose horn
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 AM
B&C 140 Class

Veiwing Pleasure------ I LIKE IT!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've been baiting this year around trail cameras trying to get a deer count and just to see what's out there. I've had one of the piles going since mid december. As far as concentrating the deer thing, I don't know if I buy it. I have never had more deer at my piles than I've seen feeding in the fields around the area. Also, they don't stay there and gorge themselves like some would believe making them dependant on the food. I do have regulars that stop by everyday for a bit then move on. As far as hunting over bait, I've yet to catch a good buck with his head in the cornpile. And I know there are some in the area. I don't think baiting is a good way to kill one. I do plan on making some food plots(nature willing) and using a feeder at certian times of the year but won't hunt those either. Not coz I think it's wrong, I just won't hunt that part of the farm for other reasons. Some people think baiting makes it an easy kill, I don't. Unless you're after does. And really, you shouldn't need bait for does, grins.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Scrub Buck

Im going to have to go with joel on this.Even though Ronn makes a good point about the doe in heat.I like to find natural feeding and watering areas in order to pattern deer and put a stand.I do plant food plots sometimes in order to keep deer on my particular piece of property.I have hunted over food plots but typically only keep them up until the beginning of season.BUT.If I knew a kid that wanted to go hunting Id have no problem throwing some corn out and after it was gone Id hunt there.It takes alot to keep youth interested and Id do whatever it takes.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
ronn

kyle85 not being a wise guy but you prove my point by picking and choosing when to hunt "over" bait. If bait is changing the deers patteren how is that different than a food plot or crop that does the same thing. what if its been, say, cotton and now its corn? WE ALL hunt "over" bait whether we choose to admit it to ourselves or not. the problem is trying to force the land to carry more deer than it can without human intervention, kinda joel's point I believe, which again could be a food pile or plot. Great disscussion all.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

Pardon me Ronn but I do not hunt bait (Man placed food source purposely placed for attracting deer). I may hunt food sources but mostly only travel corridors leading to and from. The reason I only hunt travel routes is hunting the food source itself here in my areas only screws up the deer patterns that I have busted my butt locating. Hunting the food source is the best way on most hunting properties of making deer go nocturnal. How can you ever become a proficient hunter if all you know is corn and how much to put out. I don't care what others may think of this but baiting is lazy hunting. There is so much more to learn than staring at a bait pile. To me it is like going to work not being there to be productive but to just punch a clock.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
ronn

crop or oak stand same thing. keying on food, food and its relationship to bedding. bait = food placed by man, planted by man or naturally occurring. the difference is you are after a particular animal which adds a whole series of facets. they call shiners bait fish don't they, whether its on a hook or not?

Last edited by ronn; 02-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.