Deer Hunting Forums banner

Baiting

19K views 81 replies 22 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
Things are a bit slow here so lets open for debate the issue of baiting game animals for the sole purpose of harvesting them. First, let me say I've baited many years ago so I do know what its all about. Secondly, I've chosen not to bait as I now do not care to hunt that way. Here's the question: What do the members here feel with regards to legal baiting. Please keep the debate civil and your goal is to convince me that baiting is and should remain an accepted method of legal hunting, or why baiting should be banned. I do not consider food plots baiting if animals are not shot over the plots. Remember this is just a questioniare. Fire away!:nerd:

G
#60 ·
msst8dog, just playing devils advocate here. You bring up a very interesting point. the way I see it and its something you said food plots do more manipulating of the deer that baiting for a harvest. What If someone feeds the deer year around? feeds them stuff thats good for them and makes for a better herd? is that different than a food plot, in principle? thats why I lump feeding, crops, plots, and baiting all together. they all manipulate the deers patterns to some extent. its like being a little bit pregnant. It works out that we all see things differently and that makes no one right and no one wrong its just a different perspective.
and welcome. jump in anywhere

#61 ·
baiting is going to be debated by many forever!!

I think that you have to feel like what you are doing is an ethical thing. I know some hunters that do not believe in baiting. I also know that some prefer to bait because they do not have the time to go out in the field to learn all the animals habits due to jobs and family. I don't feel like this makes them bad. I personally do not bait. I also enjoy the challenge of the hunt. Harvesting an animal is not a must for me. Many people bait for all kinds of reasons. If you put cheese on a mouse trap are you bad for baiting? It's all in the way you see it.

#62 ·
I disagree bigboytwo. People do UNethical things and FEEL like they aren't doing anthing wrong. I believe there is a line between ethical and unethical regardless who you are and where you are from. Baiting is one of those things that is hard to nail down because it is not "legally wrong" universally. It could be argued that shooting does with a rifle is "ethically" wrong as opposed to shooting them with a bow. It's too easy. Ronn would disagree (I hope!) due to the fact it's hard to find deer in NH where he's from. But here in KY you can wack em till the cows come home and tomorrow too. But...can you argue it is ethical to shoot a deer in your headlights at nite? No way, it's wrong. We have people here that do that. That doesn't make them ethical. If that were the case then that would give the peta people validity. God help us on that one......No offense intended. Just my opinion.

#63 ·
I have a thought. HOW can you be a good caretaker of the sport of hunting when you don't know how to HUNT but just bait? How can you be ethical and stand with your head high when all you really want to do is find a short cut to success? There are many people in the world looking to achieve success. You have doer's and dreamers. There are no short cuts to success much the same as there are no short cuts to becoming a good hunter. Most of us have jobs, families and responsibilities. HMMMMM?
Just a thought.:yawn:

#70 ·
While I agree with the gist of what you are saying wmi I disagree with your idea of ethical hunting. I have said it before on this web site and I will say it again. Just because someone else does something we may never do or something we don't agree with does not make it unethical. If a hunter legaly harvest game in his state how they do it is of no concern to me. I believe we as hunters do ourselves and other hunters a great dis-service when we call another hunters actions unethical when you have no standing to do so except your personal opinion about what it is they did.

You and me would never hunt over a pile of corn but if someone else can do it legaly then I don't think it is anyones business but that hunters. All we do is ad fodder to the anti-hunting groups when we call them unethical. You can not have an unethical act without a previously agreed ethical standard to go by. Your or my opinion does not make it unethical it is only our opinion.

#64 ·
I think I need to add on. If you take the time such as right now during the off season to spend even just a few days walking your lands finding trails, looking for sheds, locating oaks or other brows type plants come next season your game will be 10 times more successful. The key is every time you find sign or a trail you did not know was there ask yourself why. Each time seek the answer, take notes, connect the dots. Keep in mind that a deer does not do a single thing without a reason. As the picture develops in your mind you will begin to see even more of that of which has been over looked. I can't tell you when but at some point the light will come on in your mind and the hunter in you will come out. You will see far more deer than ever before and even be able to predict changes in patterns as phases of deer fall cycles occur. The really cool thing is not only will your success go through the roof but your sightings of mature bucks will dramatically increase. Finding sheds now will clue you in on core areas that these animals call home. This will become most evident with your full freezer and large BONES ON THE WALL! Besides it will save you money for more new camo, bows and guns instead of corn.

#66 ·
:pickle:Spot on WMI:pickle:

#71 ·
My true point was that with little effort one can become an even more successful hunter with a few days leg work. When you take in account going to the feed store and time spent placing bait in your desired spot you could scout and locate a half dozen more productive locations on your property. By locating natural travel areas and staging areas I believe you can and will harvest more deer because these areas the deer will consistantly use weather or not bait is present. In the long run a hunter will come out way ahead in harvest as well as knowledge. It is a win win situation all around. Also by having multiple locations you will not over hunt or over educate your deer. Staying mobile is the key to changing phases of deer behavior through out their fall cycle and seasonal changes in habitat. I feel that all hunters would find harvesting deer on their terms more fullfilling as well as building pride within themselves as a hunter. Just an oppinion but worth the thought.

#75 ·
I like feeding corn mixed with bird feed and acorn pellets. I mostly feed because of deer health, I belive I am helping the deer among other animals keep a nutrishise diet year round. Here in KY we can not feed/bait from March to May so I just unhook the battery untill June. I have never harvested any animal within 20 yards from any feeder and usualy try and stay back 100 to 150 yards back off feeders.

#78 ·
I agree with, at least, some of what everyone has said so far as there are good points both ways. Of course, if it's not legal in your state, that's it. But I do think there is a difference between baiting for actual shooting and hunting near or on route to a natural feeding area or agricultural area. It's that when you're hunting a bait you have defined the situation to suit your goals (it's a "set up" from the word "go"), whereas in the other situations, you still have to "scout" things out and work with what you find. A slight difference, I admit, but enough to make me disinterested in baiting.

#79 ·
I think it really all depends on what you are looking to get out of hunting, and how much you rely on hunting too. If you happen to be Mr. Poor Man with a wife and seven kids, I'm sure most of us will over look the fact he uses a bag of corn and soybeans where it is legal. Then again, many of us here hunt deer for pure sport usually. I mean the meat is nice, but most of us can afford beef or pork at the supermarket. Baiting just to brag you got a deer that year is a no-no in my book. if you actually rely on getting one or two deer a year for the food valve purely, then baiting (where legal) is just fine to me.

#80 ·
if your that broke save the 50-100 bucks in bait and buy food

#82 ·
for 50lbs of meat give or take:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.