Baiting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM

VERY good point Joel, and right on the money!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
baiting is very unhealthy for deer it causes them to congregate in a specific area allowing for disease to be spread easily .in winter time up north deer "yard " up when people feed the deer deer leave the yard and are often attacked by prey animals and they die from exhaustion in the deep snow trying to reach or return from the bait/feed sites.you are doing the deer no favors by feeding them .dont do it
whats the difference if a deer comes to a pile of corn on the ground or feeding in a corn field?whats the difference with apples?on the tree or on the ground??they end up on the ground anyways?bails of alfalfa?in a field or bale?the deer will yard up regardless if there is a pile of corn so whats stopping them from speading some kind of disease when they yard up?i don't think baiting deer is a bad thing!and its not a lazy mans way of hunting it accually alot of work,time,money.look how much time,money preperation it takes to plant a food plot??but thats a lazy hunter??i would have no problem harvesting a deer over bait!!no regrets,no shame. But thats just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Thanks for all the good posts. Baiting is a touchy subject and the decision to bait or not is a personal one, where legal of course. Baiting makes things much easier and without a doubt takes the hunting out of the equation, and only allows the shooting. I know many will dissagree with me on this, but I get an opinion too. Thanks again for the good responces on a very sensitive subject!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
baiting is very unhealthy for deer it causes them to congregate in a specific area allowing for disease to be spread easily .In winter time up north deer "yard " up when people feed the deer deer leave the yard and are often attacked by prey animals and they die from exhaustion in the deep snow trying to reach or return from the bait/feed sites.You are doing the deer no favors by feeding them .dont do it
In winter time UP NORTH it could be bad for the deer....but in the summer time it could and probably will be very good for the deer, help them add weight and grow antlers...in some states is it legal to feed or bait in the summer but not in the winter?...seems like I heard that before but maybe I'm just making this up
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM
B&C 180 Class

several studies were done on this and have shown that bait concentrates the animals in one area unlike a whole cornfield or apple orchard that's just common sense.a pile vrs a field come on.In NY its illegal to feed deer year round unless its a food plot.I never said creating a food plot was lazy or that baiting was a lazy way to hunt .i said it wasn't healthy for the deer.Deer can get plenty of food in the wild.when you bait the deer will congregate in the baited area when many times they woudln't be there .while they are waiting for you to drop your bucket of corn they are decimating the local forage to unsustainable levels.in some areas the deer have eaten all the the browse to the height that they can reach standing up on the rear legs.hows that good for the environment?If its legal in your area to bait and hunt have at but if you think your helping out the deer herd you are not plain and simple.deer dont need to grow huge racks people want to see them they get all the nutrition they need in the wild supplemental feeding is unhealthy bottom line.read up on it
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITETAILFEVER View Post
whats the difference if a deer comes to a pile of corn on the ground or feeding in a corn field?whats the difference with apples?on the tree or on the ground??they end up on the ground anyways?bails of alfalfa?in a field or bale?the deer will yard up regardless if there is a pile of corn so whats stopping them from speading some kind of disease when they yard up?i don't think baiting deer is a bad thing!and its not a lazy mans way of hunting it accually alot of work,time,money.look how much time,money preperation it takes to plant a food plot??but thats a lazy hunter??i would have no problem harvesting a deer over bait!!no regrets,no shame. But thats just my opinion.
that right its your opinion the facts are otherwise
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 AM

Joel is right, I've read several articles on Baiting/feeding deer and after some studies they all conclude it's bad for deer to congregate for food.
The biggest concern is CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease)
YES deer naturally congregate for food but a pile of food isn't natural and deer shouldn't be concentrated into such a small feeding zone.

* Baiting and Feeding causes unnatural concentration of deer
* Disease course and symptoms indicate high potential for transmission where deer are concentrated

experts in CWD, wildlife disease and deer nutrition support bans on baiting and feeding as part of a
comprehensive strategy to prevent and/or manage CWD.
Under a baiting and feeding ban, disease outbreaks are more likely to be smaller in scale and more apt to be
contained or eliminated. With the long CWD incubation period and other factors that make discovery of a new
outbreak difficult, an outbreak that is already widespread when detected because of baiting and feeding may not be
able to be contained or eliminated.

CWD is similar to mad cow disease in cattle and
scrapie in sheep

CWD is known to infect free-ranging deer and elk in areas of Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York, West Virginia, and Saskatchewan. It has been diagnosed in deer and elk in game ranches in Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Kansas, New York, and in the Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan

I don't think anyone wants CWD present in their Deer or Elk, So far Vermont has never had to deal with CWD (Thank God) but Vermont
and the other non-infected states are not immune to the disease...
(Vermont has strict laws on Baiting/feeding) maybe that's why we haven't been affected with CWD thus far...

I also don't believe it's just a CWD issue, like Joel said when the deer congregate and can't find that "bait" no longer they have to browse, a deer needs to store a lot of body fat to survive the harsh northern winters If the deer is forced to browse for food because the bait isn't there any longer that causes it to burn off a lot of that needed fat putting that deer at high risk for starvation or freezing to death throughout the remainder of winter.

The law is still the law, IF your state allows baiting/feeding then you're within your right to bait or feed as you wish, I personally don't have any disrespect or Ill thoughts about anyone that does it as long as it's legal in the area they do it in. I just think hunters should be aware there are risks involved when baiting or feeding deer.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 01-29-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
B&C 180 Class

thank you for explaining it a little clearer than i did bruce
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
B&C 140 Class

I stand behind all of my posts on this subject 100%. All of us hunt for a reason. This being said it will vary from hunter to hunter. For me it is the challenge and quest for the biggest and oldest boss of the woods. This quest challenges my mind, patience, body, and cunning against the wisest critter in the woods. I cover miles of trails and hours of studying his behaviors trying to figure out how I can harvest my target buck. Most times he wins which only drives me more. I want to play the game on his terms with no baited traps.

When I went to ILL. with Ronn I was successful in my hunt but in all honesty it still will not be my most memorable because I did not do the leg work and pay my dues mentally as I have for my trophies here at home. It will always mean a lot to me because I got to share the experience with one of my best friends but will still fall short of the bucks I had the pleasure of playing cat and mouse with here at home. Will I do it again of coarse I will because of the adventure of a strange state, woods and surprise of not knowing what is going to happen or when if at all.

Baiting to me would feel like cheating in this game of life and death thus taking away from the full experience of the hunt.

We are all hunters which to me makes us family. In all families each member has different thoughts and feelings none being exactly the same as another. My feelings are mine and mine alone. Each of us must follow our own path.

PS Please don't bait on or around my hunting areas. You screw up all of my hard work and I have to start all over from scratch. LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Solid thoughts on all the posts. Pa doesn't allow baiting, Michigan has taken steps to terminate baiting, this due to the disease problems, I wish Ohio would follow suit. To those where baiting is not allowed forces one to become a better hunter. In those states that allow hunting I know tradition plays a big part in the style of hunting you do. My good hunting friend from the UP of Michigan only hunted from shacks and huge bait piles. When I brought him to PA to bow hunt naturally, he had forgot how to hunt! Now he and his dad come through every year to hunt the old fashion way and they love it. In fact my buddy said this year." its hard to go home and sit in front of a pile of bait and get excited". This is from a person who has shot over 100 deer with a bow.