across the pond - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Scrub Buck

Question across the pond

Hi all ,
New to this site, so please excuse me if i have posted in the wrong place but we over in the United Kingdom have started to hear about scentlock products ie. clothing that covers or conceals your natural scent.
My questions are do these products work? Which are best? And i would presume that you need a complete outfit -trousers(pants?),jackets,hats and boots for it to be effective!
Sorry again as you have probably covered this topic a thousand times already,but any advantage helps. Happy New Year and safe hunting.
cervushunter.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 AM

Hello cervushunter and welcome to the site. The subject you raise will bring a varied responce I'm sure. I do not own any scent prevention clothing, so do they work and are they worth the money I can't say. What I can say is you absolutely do not need them to be successful in the scent elimination process. I do take many precautions to prevent human scent from forming on myself and my clothes. The products I use are the scent elimination sprays, body wash, deorderants. I wash my clothes in a scent elimination product in a washing machine air dry outside then spray them down and hang outside again till dry then store them in a sealed plastic box. I am fortunate to have steam saunas in our hunting camps which is very good at cleaning out the human skin pores of any bacteria. Then each morning spray every piece of clothing prior to leaving camp. I even carry a small spray bottle in my pack to use during the day. Sorry for the long winded responce hope it helps.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
ronn

i think hm's approach is a real good one. i do use the carbon clothing and it gives me a little more confidence. i don't think anything is 100% but it can't hurt to add the clothes to the system.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM

I think scent lok may be good for hunters that aren't as skilled at Scenting down as well as the veteran hunter.
Some hunters use scent sprays and think they've done enough, it isn't. Like Huntingman says scent eliminator sprays, soaps, shampoo's, launry detergents, deodorants, those are all important steps needed to reduce odors and scents,
the scent lok clothing may add an edge, (maybe not) I don't know but I do know it's very costly and may not be worth it.
Hunters have been successfully harvesting wildlife for hundreds and hundreds of years without scent lok BUT if the scent lok manufacturers want to send me samples, they can email me for my mailing address and I'll gladly give their product a try...

Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
B&C 160 Class

I have a Scentloc coverall I use and I believe it works. I say I believe it works because I have had good luck not being busted by a deer when using it but if you can believe what a lot of people say about it the carbon has long past become not effective. The problem they claim is the carbon does not reactivate at normal dryer temps which is what I use.

I use it durring bow season.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
B&C 180 Class

welcome to the site.this topic is debated as much as what caliber is best.some believe they work others dont.Me im obsessive about scent elimination.i use everything.i wash with scent free soap treat all my cloths,change in the field wear my boots only for hunting etc.i also use a scent loc coverall during the early bow season cuz it gets hot and i sweat .I have killed many a deer at 10yards that never knew i was there.in the colder weather i wear a base layer of scent control cloths .I feel they give me added confidence and that is the most important key to success .you have to believe in yourself first then you will become a successful hunter
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky