snowshoes - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 PM
ronn

Default snowshoes

after 30 years in the woods of NH i did some snowshoeing for the first time. went and set a couple cameras on some trails. Did about 2 miles total. it was kinda fun. worked up a good sweat, found some good trails in a new area. found that the tree i got my deer with the PSE is good late season. it had the highest concentration of deer sign around it. i'll check them in a week or so. anyone do any snowshoing? got any tips?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM
B&C 180 Class

always wanted to try that.the place i went early deer hunting does a snowshoe hunt for grouse and rabbits sounds like fun
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
ronn

i bet it would be fun, joel. good exercise, gets me out in the woods, scouting for next year, all kinds of good reasons to give it a go. I didn't get top of the line they came from wal-mart 275 pound weight limit. they worked well. If I really end up liking it I'll get a good pair.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 PM
B&C 180 Class

funny the place i was talking about sent me pics today.the smile on my face with my deer really picked me up.how much were the shoes ronn?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 PM
ronn

$80 something like that. they had a pair that went up to 350 lbs but i figure 275 lbs is enough and they are a little shorter. everyone says go with a shoe that will far surpass what you except to be carrying. got a set of old ski poles from my father-in-law and I was good to go.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

we dont get enough snow around this part to even think about snow shoes. we might get 4 inches two or three times a seasson but its usualy gone in two days. sounds like fun though.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 PM
B&C 180 Class

ronn i called the guide they got tons of snow in the daks and tons of grouse too