Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Need Some Help or Some Answers (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/3243-need-some-help-some-answers.html)

tlpoore 12-21-2008 04:06 PM

Need Some Help or Some Answers

I put out corn about a week ago to get the deer to maybe start feeding in the area. I set up my trail camera to see if i could get some pics. Anyway, its been 9 days no pics of anything around the corn & none of its been eaten? What should I do now? I have pics of some deer right above where I put out the corn but I was told not to put out the corn on the deer trail. So what should I do now find a better trail & put the feeder up or what. I am totaly lost now...

ronn 12-21-2008 04:10 PM

if there is a lot of native foods on the ground, acorns, they will be less likily to go to bait. if your eating cookies that are everywhere, your not going to go out of your way to eat on a pile of white bread. mix it with acorn rage about 20%.

dylanhutchinson 12-21-2008 04:14 PM

i would put it on the main trail it wount scary them or do what he said

East Texas Droptine 12-21-2008 05:57 PM

I don't think I would put it right on the main trail...now maybe like 5 feet away or so, but not smack dab in the middle of the trail...you may also want to increase the smell around the site with say...some "Buck Bran" "Buck Grub" "Buck Jam" I would recomend the "Buck Jam" I actually like the way it smells lol...

Also- have the deer in our area ever tasted corn...deer are like cows, in many ways but one is that they have to get a "taste" for the corn like the cows have to get a "taste" for the sweet feed...once they taste it they are hooked so I would just give them a while.

Hunting Man 12-21-2008 06:48 PM

One thing about winter feeding if you feed something that changes their digestion system from winter brouse to corn, hay, ect and you don't continue to feed them through out the winter you actually harm the deer more than help them. I guess I am different that i don't throw something down to get a shot. we've pretty well covered the baiting subject here so I won't go there. If you're going to feed deer be consistant in the feeding till spring.

albinodeerguy 12-21-2008 06:54 PM

There are times when the deer in my yard won't eat corn just because they have something tastier like apples or my food plot to eat from. I would just give them more time. They'll come.

ronn 12-21-2008 07:39 PM

thats a very good point hm. their systems do change, around here anyway. woody browse and hemlock mostly.

tlpoore 12-21-2008 08:10 PM

Thank You all for responding & giving me this info. I kinda feel better now that some of you all said what u did about the corn maybe its gonna take a few more weeks or so to find it. Just hoping I can kill me one tommorow.

hunt2dayfish2morrow 12-21-2008 09:07 PM

the only problem I have run into is the deer change their feeding times if the food is always on the ground. This year the deer have been feeding 95% of the time in the late evening and early mornings before shooting time. They have shown up during the day but all the times are random and hard to pattern. Keep it up, it will pay off.

countryboy 12-21-2008 11:53 PM

Is baiting even legal in your area? Personally, I hate it when people feed wild animals other than small birds or squirrels - even if they are not hunting. Some studies suggest there may be a link between feeding and CWD. The wildlife officials will quite often say they believe feeding helps to spread CWD.